Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eberg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Tenant vs. Landlord, VA
    This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated...

I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in that week and about three months later found out that the place was not hers at all but owned by a title attorney whom she claimed was her cousin. Which also turned out to not be true. Once the truth was known the true owner wanted "x" amount of rent per month but said he would work with me on it. So basically I ended up there 6 months and no money has been exchanged. He let me stay and only emailed every now and again saying he wanted money. I moved out because I could not afford what he was asking. He now wants me to sign a paper saying I will pay him with interest, give up my homestead rights and
    That an attorney will represent me in court should I default with no further notice.

Who has the upper hand here? He let me stay beyond 3 months with no money exchanged, put a note on the door for eviction but never acted on it and I have now moved out of state and he is wanted me to sign this paper... any advice?? :rolleyes:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2006, 03:44 AM
    Don't sign a thing!! He should instead be sueing the woman who let you move into the house.

The most you could be held liable for is based on when he became aware of the situation and when he demanded money.

You were on a verbal month to month occupancy at no charge. At the point that he told you what the charge would be, you should have 30 days after that to either start paying that money or move out.

... so what you can be held liable for is whatever he said the charge would be starting 30 days after he gave you the notice in writing.

Again, do NOT sign anything at all. He does not have a leg to stand on, that's why he wants you to sign.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 01:05 PM
    I agree with Rick.

Do NOT sign anything.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2006, 01:09 PM
    One point here is the mention of homestead rights. I would check this under VA Law. Because you had possession and were allowed to stay in possession you might have had the right to stay.

However, since you have moved, the point is probably moot. Don't sign anything, without consulting with a lawyer YOU choose. But I suspect this is just bluff so that you don't claim the house.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 31, 2006, 05:47 PM
    You have no homestead rights in VA. Sign nothing and agree to nothing in writing or in an e-mail. Let them file suit against you and explain to the judge how you were allowed to live in the property so long without paying rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

Landlord Tenant Law - Washington, DC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend who rented the basement apartment of her house to a person who has not paid rent for 2 years. She does not have a Certificate of Occupancy, but can't the tenant be evicted as a squatter, without a C. of O.

Can the landlord slander the tenant for no reason [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Thermopolis, Wyoming right now. Been here 8 months. Landlord was nice until my husband and I confronted her on all her lies. Does she have the right to slander us to other tentants and if not, what can we do about it. The owners of the property really don't care what she does because she...

View more questions Search