Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonathanP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Tax treaty with Germany allow
    Hi,

First of all, thank you for offering apparently competent help for people like me!
    I have entered the US as an F-1 Student in Sept. 07. After I returned home (Germany) last summer, I returned to the US again in July 08 as a J-1 short-term scholar. Since I am getting paid this time, I requested an exemption because of the tax treaty the US and Germany have, which allows me 2 tax-free years.

Now here is my question: If my stay is longer than 2 years, I will have to pay taxes retroactively including interest. I will return in September 09 as a PhD Student to a different university in a different state. The visa category will also be F-1 and not J-1 anymore. Does this constitute a new stay and I will not exceed the 2 years of the treaty, or does it not and I will have to pay taxes for the last year (so I better do not request exemption at all)?

Thank you very much!
    Jonathan.
    jonathanP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
    So I can provide an answer myself now, because I went to our tax office and they said it would be counted as a new stay because the kind of income would be different (salary for research - scholarship) and I would make no mistake by claiming the treaty.

I am not completely satisfied with this answer though, because I could not find any official-looking document confirming that. Anyone?

Btw, is it really not possible to edit the headline of my question? I obviously hit return before I finished it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Germany-USA tax treaty [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I moved from Germany to the States to work as a Research Associate on a J-1 visa for 2 years. Since I heard about the tax treaty between Germany and the US, I applied for tax exemption in the local payroll office. From now on, they don't withdraw any taxes from my salary, which...

Hitler Germany [ 3 Answers ]

What are the most important facts and dates that I should incorporate in an essay about the rise and power of the Nazis through Hitler's rule?

J1 resident alien - tax treaty - fellowship Germany [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a question regarding taxation of fellowships. I am German citizen who came to the US in 2005 on a J-1 visa as a research scholar. Between 2005 and 2007 I was paid by a german fellowship and partly by my boss at the university for the time that was not covered by the fellowship....

F-1 Student from Germany, Five-Year Rule, Scholarship, Tax Treaty Benefits, 1042-S [ 1 Answers ]

I am a graduate student from Germany. I had been in the United States on a J-1 from 1998 to 1999 and from 2004 to 2005. I have been in the United States on an F-1 since August 15, 2006. According to the five-year rule, I am therefore a resident alien for tax purposes as of 2007. My sole income...

Tax treaty germany usa.2 year counting [ 15 Answers ]

I am a research associate employed by a university to work at NASA. I am on a J-1 visa in the category research scholar/associate. I am now lost how to get the most out of my tax return. I entered the US on Aug 2006 to do research at a different university. This was on a J-1 visa as well in the...

View more questions Search