Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Furthermore, creating "free speech rally zones" is not a suppression of free speech either. It does not prevent assembly or quell the expression of free speech. It establishes a specific place to assemble and express free speech in a way that doesn't harm others. You define it as suppressing free speech. That is an incorrect definition by law, precedent, logic and morality.
    Hello again, El:

A specific place?? FREE SPEECH RALLY ZONE?? Dude!! I thought America was a free speech zone!

The fact that you don't think it is, makes MY point.

excon
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Mar 20, 2009, 10:52 AM

Going back to the concept of yelling "fire" falsely in a crowded theatre, free speech is NOT an exercize in doing harm to others. Your rights end at the tip of my nose. And if your free expression is going to cause harm, then it is incumbent on the government to protect MY rights along with yours. Creating places that permit legal gathering and free expression oprotects BOTH of our rights... my safety, and your free expression and assembly.

Also, your statement that "America is a free speech zone" is false. You are not permitted to assemble in my home uninvited, and if you say offensive things in my home I can ask/tell you to leave. And doing so is NOT an aborogation of your rights, but rather an excersize of mine.

We have always had sensible limitations on where your rights end and mine begin. What you are talking about is allowing the violation of some people's rights in favor of protecting the rights of other people. The government's solution of creating specific places where freedom of assembly and expression can be excersized unabated is a solution that protects EVERYONE'S rights equally.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 11:08 AM

Free speech zones were "liberally " used by the Dems. In Denver last summer. I expect that President Obama will pretty much insist that his secret service provides similar provisions for his public appearances.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Mar 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
    The only true free speech you have is in your own private property, and even sometimes that is compromised.

Now, time for me to get politically UNCORRECT.

My below statements do not reflect my political points of view on anything, I'm merely calling a spade a spade.

Question: Can you excersize free speech on internet websites? Not if the website administrators prohibit it. This was already covered in this topic. The same applies when marching on to someone else's property.

Question: Do we have the right to peacefully assemble? No- we may have the privilege, however we must first apply to the town for a permit to assemble on public property.

Question: Can I use a public park as a pulpit to preach the gospel? Not if the ACLU has anything to do with it.

Question: Can I use a public park to have a gay rights assembly? Not if the religious community has anything to do with it.

Question: Can I burn a cross on my property? No - many states ban such a practice.

In addition, many local cities and towns in their zoning ordinace prohibit many forms of expression that might otherwise be considered "free speech" such as placement of signs on private property (even if it is your sign and your property).

I can't just pin up a nudie poster on my side of the right of way.

The list goes on, now most of this stuff I couldn't care less about, I have no desire to burn massive crosses and erect bill boards in my front yard, however if I wanted to, I still couldn't and that's MY whole point.

Final question, is this freedom? Yes or No?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So. We're not allowed free speech on this site? [ 21 Answers ]

We were having a good dicsussion about Huckabee and his religious beliefs vs his political beliefs, and for some reason the entire thread was deleted or moved. No explination. I'm not sure why the askemehelpdesk forum God's get to determine what stays and what goes? If it was advertising, pure...

Why doesn't [ 66 Answers ]

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Dec. 4 will again hear a challenge by Michael Newdow to the Pledge of Allegiance and its phrase "under God." Newdow won his prior lawsuit against the pledge until the Supreme Court, perhaps to avoid public outrage in the 2004 presidential election year,...

The assault on free speech (and one triumph) [ 22 Answers ]

Oakland California : Some public workers produced a flier in which they said "marriage is the foundation of the natural family and sustains family values." This was treated as "hate speech" by the city government after another city employee, who is a lesbian, said she "felt threatened" by the...

Free Speech [ 2 Answers ]

Cleric puts up one million dollors to kill cartoonist that created the funny. Well, I guess free thought as well as free speech is out of the question. Why are these people so very excitable? What exactly do they want out of life. I am truly perplexed when it comes to their behavior. Can anyone...

View more questions Search