Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ritaman1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Medicare supplemental insurance for under 65
    Can't seem to get a supplemental insurance in Florida if you are disabled (under 65)
    I am 56 and need to find a supplement
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:51 AM

Welcome to AMHD. Check this: "If you are under 65, you can get Part A without having to pay premiums if you have:

"Received Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefits for 24 months." Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (General Enrollment)
    sunny1ib Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ritaman1 View Post
    Can't seem to get a supplemental insurance in Florida if you are disabled (under 65)
    I am 56 and need to find a supplement
    The State of Florida does not have guarantee issue coverage available to those individuals disabled under the age of 65. Depending upon your disability, and your geographic location in Florida, you may have some options. If you would like more information, feel free to contact me.
    jamesq Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 07:10 PM
    I am age 58 and an on Social Security disability for 24 months. I will qualify for medicare very soon. I will need a supplement or and advantage plan. What are my options?

May 4, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
    I am age 58 and an on Social Security disability for 24 months. I will qualify for medicare very soon. I will need a supplement or and advantage plan. What are my options?
    If you reside in the state of Florida, then you will be subject to some underwriting questions if you opt to look into a Medicare supplement. There are not a lot of carriers in Florida that will offer a Medicare supplement to a disabled/Medicare eligible under the age of 65. Medicare Advantage plans are more flexible in who qualifies, however, it is important to review the plan benefits and how you anticipate you may use this type of plan. Copays, total out of pocket limits and prescription medication formularies are extremely important aspects to review BEFORE you sign up.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    bretonbenefits Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
    While you may not find a supplement plan, you will be eligible for an Advantage plan as soon as Parts A & B are effective. Suggest you consider a PPO Advantage plan... these pay whether you see providers in their network or out of network... AARP Plan 2 has Rx.. Plan 3 does not... both are RPPO plans with benefits throughout Florida... no monthly premiums but they do have "user fees"... ie copays, coinsurance, etc. Annual Out of Pocket set at $3500 for Plan 2 and $2500 for Plan 3... contact me if you still need help.
    kmccarthy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 08:55 AM
    As of Oct. 1st in Florida Medicare Supplements are Now available to all people on Medicare due to disability or end stage renal disease under 65. There is a 6 month guaranteed enrollment period that began Oct. 1 2009.
    pinellipy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 10:00 AM
    I am under 65 and cannot find a compnay to issue a policy.. Any suggestions.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pinellipy View Post
    I am under 65 and cannot find a compnay to issue a policy.. Any suggestions.
    Are you disabled? Check this: "Medigap Policies For People Under Age 65 With A Disability or End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
    You may have Medicare before age 65 due to the following:

A disability, or
    ESRD (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant).

If you are under age 65 and disabled or have ESRD, you may not be able to buy the Medigap policy you want until you turn 65. Federal law doesn't require insurance companies to sell Medigap policies to people under age 65. However, some states require insurance companies to sell you a policy, at certain times, even if you are under age 65."
    Medicare.gov - Medigap Policies For People Under Age 65 With A Disability or End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
    MJHunt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmccarthy View Post
    As of Oct. 1st in Florida Medicare Supplements are Now available to all people on Medicare due to disability or end stage renal disease under 65. There is a 6 month guranteed enrollment period that began Oct. 1 2009.

I am a 57 year old FL resident who is on Medicare Disability (A&B) since 2000. Do you know which companies are considering providing med. Supplements for those of us under 65 on disability? Thanks for any information you may have.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MJHunt View Post
    I am a 57 year old FL resident who is on Medicare Disability (A&B) since 2000. Do you know which companies are considering providing med. supplements for those of us under 65 on disability? Thanks for any information you may have.
    Check this
    Florida Medicare Plans

You may get assistance from the Florida Commissioner of Insurance:
    https://apps.fldfs.com/mcws/default.aspx
    suryasankaran Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
    I am 30 years old and will be receiving Medicare disability benefits in July 2010. Which Medigap plans are available to me and which companies offer them? Which Insurance companies offer Medical Advantage plans? Thanks. P King
    anickooii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 06:27 AM
    Hello guys , I have a medicare disability supplemet plan with the company I work for ( florida) please email me for more information ,[email protected]
    MrktTrakr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Comment on sunny1ib's post
    Sunny1ib, I see that you are a health ins consultant in Sarasota. May I contact you personally for help with finding a Medicare supplement policy that covers under age 65 on SSDI? You can contact me at [email protected]

Sep 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
    Comment on MJHunt's post
    The six month guarantee enrollment, however, has since passed. Mutual of Omaha, BCBS of FL, AARP/UHC plans are offering Medicare supplements to under 65 Medicare beneficiaries. You may be subject to individual underwriting. Hope this is helpful.
    ken777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 05:30 PM
    Hello
    I need supplemental medicare coverage, am 62 and totally disabled with VA and never have used medicare in years I have had it. I get everything done through VA in Pensacola, so can you recommend basic coverage for me in case of emergency and someday I use medicar? Thnks, Ken

Jun 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
    Theoretically speaking, if you have VA there should not be a reason to have Medicare coverage even though you are entitled to Medicare benefits. If you have 100% VA coverage now, the thought process goes you would be treated at your local/regional VA facility. In an emergency situation you would be sent to the closest medical facility (whether it is VA or not). The VA will pay in accordance to the benefit schedule. If you have a Medicare card and it shows that you have Part B, you very well may be paying a premium for that - this is financial aspect is something to consider especially if you are under financial constraints.

If you are a veteran with an apportionment, having Medicare benefits will then be a "must". If that is the case purchasing a Medicare supplement is not a bad idea. However, you will be subject to underwriting questions of the application. Depending on the carrier, if you answer "Yes" to any of the health questions, your application may very well be declined. From what little information you provided, it sounds like you have had benefits for a while and you would not be a candidate for a guarantee issue policy. When you turn 65, you will automatically be eligible for guarantee issue policy (no underwriting, the carrier must accept your application). You can also consider Medicare Advantage plans - but be cautious with these types of plans as these require network usage and you need to check to make sure you have a relatively strong network. These plans can also be a bit less of a strain on your finances in some ways.

As far as what plan? It depends on what your need levels are. Some who want some Part A (Hospitalization) benefits purchase the Medicare Supplement Plan B. Others want more comprehensive benefits so they will choose the plan in accordance to what they can afford. The most popular plans are Plans F (richest level of benefit), Plan G, Plan K (lower premium but higher out of pocket costs) and Plan N. Plan N have been pretty popular this past year as it provides a similar level of benefits as Plan F BUT you meet your Part B deductible and pay up to $20 in copays to see any doctor, $50 copay to use the emergency room (waived if you are admitted).

Hope this has been helpful!

Jun 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
    Comment on sunny1ib's post
    Just a revision on the guarantee issue coverage in Florida: if you are an individual under the age of 65 and are awarded Social Security Disability benefits as well as entitled to Medicare, you will have a guarantee issue period. This law was revised back in October 2009. That is good news. The not so good news is that depending on the carrier, the monthly premiums can be higher than what one can afford.
    davevaccaro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
    Anyone looking for a medicare supplement plan under 65 can call me and I can help you find a plan in your state. I am an independent agent specializing in Medicare supplemental insurance plans.

http://medicaresupplementalplans.net
    bellarose53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Can you please send me this info. We just moved here 2 months ago & my husband is 63 on SSD for 3 years. In PA he had AARP supplement, however since we now live in Florida it has jumped up $400 more because of being under 65. We can not afford this policy any more. Any information you can provide me with I will be most grateful.
    Thank you,
    Bella

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who offers under 65 medicare supplemental insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My brother in-law is disabled and has medicare A and B. I am having difficulty finding a company that offers a supplemental policy to a medicare disabled person who is under 65. He lives in Chicago Illinois and is on a very limited income.

Social Security, Medicare supplemental tax rate [ 3 Answers ]

I received a supplemental increase to my paycheck to cover some expenses that I incurred. I have a couple questions. From what I understand, the federal rate is 25% for supplemental amounts. Is this in any way augment-able upon filing based upon dependents? And what part of my 1040 does it go...

Supplemental Insurance for Medicare [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any supplemental health insurances that provide outpatient physical therapy covering at least 20%? Can you tell me which ones are most beneficial for receiving out patient physical therapy and the breakdown of coverage? Can you recommend a supplemental health insurance for someone having...

Medicare supplemental insurance under age 65 [ 1 Answers ]

What companies provide medicare supplemental insurance to medicare recipients under age 65 (social security disability recipients)?

View more questions Search