Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiouskjj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 03:12 PM
    which company to lend money to?
    The proprietors of two businesses, L.L. Sams Company and Melinda Garcia Career Services, have sought business loans from you. To decide whether to make the loans, you have requested their balance sheets.

Solely on the basis of these balance sheets, to which entity would you be more comfortable lending money? Explain fully, citing specific items such as the accounting equation and amounts from the balance sheets. In addition to balance sheet data, what other information would you require?

Please see attatchment for the balance sheets.
    Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 30, 2006, 03:15 PM
    Please refer to This thread
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Just to add to Curlyben's response...

What do you think the answer is and why?

Then we will tell you what we think.
    curiouskjj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 04:09 PM
    The entity I would be more comfortable loaning money to would be L.L. Sams Company. This company has more economic resources that they will benefit from in the future. They also have less in liabilities than Melinda Garcia Career services. Their balance sheet also indicates they have twice as much in Owners Equity than the career service. It appears that L.L. Sams Company would be more likely able to repay the loan because they only have $30,000.00 in liabilities, whereas Melinda Garcia Career Services has $174,000.00 in liabilities. They also have a considerable less amount in capital. Although they show more in assetts. L.L. Sams Company will be the more likely company for fast growth.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Good points.

I agree with you. I think LL Sams is the better of the 2 to give a loan to.

Now let's talk financial ratios.

Financial ratios help you in determining a company's liquidity, solvency, etc.

Some to consider with just a balance sheet are:

Current Ratio (a liquidity ratio that measures a company's ability to pay short-term obligations) = Current Assets / Current Liabilities

Quick Ratio (an indicator of a company's short term liquidity) = (Current Assets – Inventories - Prepaids) / Current Liabilities

LL Sams
    Current Ratio = 108,500 / 12,000 = 9.04
    Quick Ratio = 23,500 / 12,000 = 1.96

Melinda
    Current Ratio = 19,000 / 6,000 = 3.17
    Quick Ratio = 19,000 / 6,000 = 3.17

Other ratios to look into are:
    - Debt/Asset Ratio = Total Liabilities / Total Assets (Indicates what proportion of equity and debt that the company is using to finance its assets)

- Debt/Equity Ratio = Total Liabilities / Total Shareholder's Equity (Indicates what proportion of equity and debt that the company is using to finance its assets)
    j_rivera_03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 07:00 PM
    HEY YOU POSTED THIS AS A POSSIBLE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION. I AM TRYING TO FIGURE THE MATH HERE, BUT IT Doesn't SEEM TO ADD UP RIGHT.

HOW DID YOU GET 108,500?

AND DO THE FINANCIAL EQUATION(S) READ AS:

108,500 DIVIDED BY ( / ) 12,000 EQUALS ( = ) 9.04?
    19,000 DIVIDED BY ( / ) 6,000 EQUALS ( = ) 3.17?

AND SO ON?

YOU POSTED THE FOLLOWING:

"Current Ratio (a liquidity ratio that measures a company's ability to pay short-term obligations) = Current Assets / Current Liabilities

Quick Ratio (an indicator of a company’s short term liquidity) = (Current Assets – Inventories - Prepaids) / Current Liabilities

LL Sams
    Current Ratio = 108,500 / 12,000 = 9.04
    Quick Ratio = 23,500 / 12,000 = 1.96

Melinda
    Current Ratio = 19,000 / 6,000 = 3.17
    Quick Ratio = 19,000 / 6,000 = 3.17 .........."
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Yes you did your math correct.

As for current assets of 108,500, that is calculated as:

Cash 9,000
    AR 14,000
    Inv 85,000
    Supplies 500

Total = 108,500

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company value = HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

I need to add value to the company, before shareholders buy new shares, how can I make It.

2's Company 3's A Crowd [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I took in my grandson's kitten,I already had a cat and a dog,well anyhow, my 10 year old mancoon cat, uses my dog's puppy pad's and his bed to urinate in,this is getting very agervating,this has been going on now since 2 week's after I took the kitten in, It's not cause the litter box...

Company value [ 4 Answers ]

I need to add value to the company, before shareholders buy new shares, how can I make It.

View more questions Search