Ask
    suryakant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Prepaid expenses
    If an expense is paid for service contract for one year
    How the account to be journalised
    hamzashakaa Posts: 161, Reputation: 8

Mar 16, 2009, 09:21 AM

When you pay the amount of the contract you should record the following entry:

Dr. Prepaid expenses
    Cr. Cash

Then at the end of each month you should amortize the portion of prepaid expense to an expense account by recording the following entry:

Dr. Services expense
    Cr. Prepaid expense

Lets assume that you paid an amount of 12,000 usd on the first of December 2008. The entry at that date will be as follows:
    Dr. Prepaid service expense 12,000
    Cr. Cash 12,000

At the end of December 2008 you should record the following entry:
    Dr. Service expenses 1,000 (12,000/12 months)
    Cr. Prepaid service expense 1,000

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recording Prepaid expenses and Unearned Revenues [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- This is my first time taking Accounting and I'm having a few problems with some of my entries. If anyone could look at my first entry and help it would be greatly appreciated. I have to do the following: Prepare entries for the transactions under the method that records prepaid...

Prepaid expenses and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How would prepaid expenses be accounted for in determining taxes and accounting for the deferred tax provision. For example, assuming rental payments are prepaid at the beginning of the year and are not yet expensed by the time taxes are accounted for- would these prepayments be taken as...

Prepaid expenses [ 2 Answers ]

Are prepaid expenses classified as liabilities on the balance sheet? Or are they just assets that represent prepayments of future expenses?

Prepaid Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

What are prepaid expenses in regard to current assets? Are they trading securities?:eek:

View more questions Search