Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimtheman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Boat Motor-Not Started in 2 Years
    I have a 40HP Yamaha motor on a Pontoon Boat and have not started it for 2 years. It has been sitting outside in the weather. What should I do before I put fresh gas/oil in can and crank it up. It has been sitting in my driveway unused this long. Please give me any suggestions as what I should do before I try to start it. Any and All replies will be appreciated. Thanks So Much. Location: :confused: San Antonio, Texas.
    REMMURER Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimtheman
    I have a 40HP Yamaha motor on a Pontoon Boat and have not started it for 2 years. It has been sitting outside in the weather. What should I do before I put fresh gas/oil in can and crank it up. It has been sitting in my driveway unused this long. Please give me any suggestions as what I should do before I try to start it. Any and All replies will be appreciated. Thanks So Much. Location: :confused: San Antonio, Texas.
    If it has a carburator, I would unscrew the bottom and drain out all the old gas that's been sitting in the bowl for 2 years. Remember your pistons are probably dry from sitting so fresh gas, an oil should fire it right up. Most of the time its just old gas that turns to a glue like sludge that messes up most engines that haven't been cranked in a while. Always add stabil to your gas before setting it up for the winter an you will have no problem, make sure you run it through the carb or injectors before shutting it down for a long period.
    Holcombe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimtheman
    Change the oil in the leg. If it is a 4 stroke change the lub oil. Drain out all gas and add fresh gas. Check spark plugs. If rusty or old clean or replace. Pistons will be dry in the cylinders. Place a "small" amount of light oil in cylinders with the plugs removed. Crank over without gas or spark plugs to lubricate the cylinder. Add fresh gas and if the carb is not plugged then it should start.
    If it has a carb - you may need a carb kit and cleaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Name of movie with boat and mermaids/sirens in cold [ 1 Answers ]

People on a boat in a cold place mermaid/sirens (pale with black eyes and hair sharp teeth long nails) singing, men went into trance the only woman on the boat did not. It was very cold. Can't remember if it was a pirate movie or what.

Atlantic crosing in a small boat [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find a documentery of 3 men in a 23 ft boat that croused the atlantic back in 1957 or around there. It was on TV and I saw it but can't find it again. I have meny detales of the crosing and all that stuff but I may be in the wrong dept for this and no use putting in a lot of info for...

Just started looking [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Guys, I am looking for a skin whitner, but some of the stories are scaring me, I am I guess milk chocolate, and would like to be between asian and hispanic. Any suggestions?

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

What actor died on boat near Mexico ? [ 5 Answers ]

Back in the late 50's or early 60's there was a TV or movie actor that died aboard a private boat off the coast of Mexico. With him were three Mexican woman companions. I can't remember the name of the actor. Does anyone know with certainty who it was ?

View more questions Search