Ask
    bosey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Nonlinear Systems of Equation
    Nonlinear Systems of Equation:

Problem:

y = x^2
    3x = y +2

Any assistance you can give me will greatly appreciated.

Thank you!:)
    karma Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Try the substitution method... you know what y is in terms of x... try that.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:44 PM
    y = x^2
    3x = y +2 or y = 3x – 2

x^2 = 3x – 2
    x^2 – 3x + 2 = 0
    (x – 2) (x – 1) = 0

Therefore, x = 2 or 1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

Basic equation help! [ 3 Answers ]

I have the answer on my paper but I can't figure out how to do the problem itself a c -(2x - 12)= - b d its 'a' over 'b' times 2x minus 12 equals 'c' over 'd'

Setting up equation? [ 2 Answers ]

I can not get how to form a formula or equation for this question. I don't want the answer I just need help getting it started. Thanks Jim can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 6 hours, Bob can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 4 hours. How long would it take them to mow the yard if they worked together?

Converting an equation [ 1 Answers ]

I have an equation that has to do with weirs and flow rates, Q=288.8LH^(3/2) where Q is the discharge rate (gal/hr), L is the opening lenth (inches), and H is the height of the fluid (inches). How do I find a new constant if I where to change Q to (cubic feet/sec.) and L and H to feet? Thank you...

View more questions Search