Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karma Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2006, 11:44 AM
    3 month old won't sleep anywhere but on me!
    My sister in law has a three month old girl who won't sleep anywhere but on her and so she hasn't had any sleep in so long. She has tried so many things, but nothing seems to work. Do any experienced moms or dads have any ideas?
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 11:58 AM
    This not a bad event... the baby is more secure with mother... place the baby on another bear chest woman... place the baby close to the heart… the heart will soothe the baby... do not give baby to any one that is stressed... babies can feel it...
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Aug 30, 2006, 04:08 PM
    What I did with my babies was let them cry. It won't take long and I have to admit that 3 months is a little young for me, but like I said it won't take long. Maybe start with putting the baby beside her. Let her fuss when she does, but the baby will get tired enough to sleep. I think if you do this in small steps, slowly it will work. First try putting the baby beside, then when the baby's good with that, try the crib. Babies will ajust. It may take a couple of nights but it will work. The baby will learn and it won't be as nearly traumatic for the baby as it would be for the mom. Tell her to be patient. As long as the baby is not hungry, in pain, or wet, let her/him cry. Just be sure to comfort the baby too. If she could lay beside the baby and stroke him, that might help. She better solve this now, because it will only get harder.

I hope something helps.
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Aug 30, 2006, 10:25 PM
    My daughter slept on me the same way. I started that as she has a learning disability and it was as much comfort to me as it was her. She slept straddling my chest until she got so heavy I could not breath. One night,after she fell asleep,I slid from under her,but kept her close. After a few nights of doing that it was easy to get her to her crib. As long as she could see me she was all right. She is 30 now and she adjusted fine.
    Blunty Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Hey All... I tried using a bear that is sold at Toys R Us/Babies R Us and it's called a slumber time bear. It actually plays the sounds of the womb and is activated when the baby cries. Best of luck!
    epi Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Keep her close... your all that she knows. How would you like someone to bring you into this world and then want you to be with out them... She Loves you... enjoy it because when they get older.. you can't drop them off in front of the school.. they are embarrassed of you and they don't hug and kiss you anymore... ENJOY HER NOW
    Tworightshoes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 08:05 AM
    I have this same problem and it's really easy for people to say stupid things like "enjoy it" or "it's all she knows." but when you're a new mom dealing with ppd and sleep deprivation you can't think like that. Even if you want to hold your baby constantly, there comes a point where your body just shuts down mentally. All of my child development classes stressed out important the first few months are for your child to learn basic trust that you'll be there for them. And yes, sometimes newborns cry for no reason. They are clean, full, and satisfied except they need to know that you're there. It's an experiment to see if someone will be around and it's important to development. So you can't just let a 3 month old cry. All that I can do is live my life in shifts with my husband until she's old enough to cry and soothe herself. It's hard on the marriage because we want to be with each other all the time, but it's a sacrifice you make when you have a baby. Date nights at least once a week are VITAL, as is spending at least 30 minutes a day just talking to each other. It even takes a toll on the housework. It's hard but this shift thing is the only way I can get enough sleep to function. Someday it will get better. That's the only thing that I can do.
    Inkwell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 08:08 AM
    I have this same problem and it's really easy for people to say stupid things like "enjoy it" or "it's all she knows." but when you're a new mom dealing with ppd and sleep deprivation you can't think like that. Even if you want to hold your baby constantly, there comes a point where your body just shuts down mentally. All of my child development classes stressed out important the first few months are for your child to learn basic trust that you'll be there for them. And yes, sometimes newborns cry for no reason. They are clean, full, and satisfied except they need to know that you're there. It's an experiment to see if someone will be around and it's important to development. So you can't just let a 3 month old cry. All that I can do is live my life in shifts with my husband until she's old enough to cry and soothe herself. It's hard on the marriage because we want to be with each other all the time, but it's a sacrifice you make when you have a baby. Date nights at least once a week are VITAL, as is spending at least 30 minutes a day just talking to each other. It even takes a toll on the housework. It's hard but this shift thing is the only way I can get enough sleep to function. Someday it will get better. That's the only thing that I can do.
    kelbysmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 11:23 PM
    Yea I have the same problem with my 3month old son but only sometimes here lately he sleeps 5 hours straight through the night and actually wakes me up with his laughing. It took a while to get where me& him are now and actually I miss him always having to sleep on my chest!! Just be patient cause those little people are going through a lot of changes.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 03:18 AM

Parenting is strenuous stressful , calls for many sacrifices such as lack of sleep , lack of time to do other things that need to be done like laundry, shopping, having some sort of life...

Since that is nearly impossible don't be shy in asking your spouse , siblings, aunts and uncles, friends and cousins to drop by and watch the baby for a short time,because you need an occasional break. Most any parent will understand and may even help. .

The pleasure of seeing kids grow and learn is one of lifes great rewards.
    Now I am going to quote my grandmother. When she told me this I thought it was silly and cliche' but she told me to enjoy all of it, because... ".they will be grown and gone in the blink of an eye." I know this to be true beyond contestation.

And as stupid as it sounds... enjoy it while it lasts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Neenah, WI. I started renting in Oct. of 2004. My year lease was up in 2005, but on my rental agreement it went to an automatic month to month if no other agreement was signed, I didn't sign another one and it started month to month Oct 2005. On the agreement it said I cannot move out...

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Property convert to month to month? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Wisconsin and I have been renting 2 back to back billboards of which one is subleased. The party did not renew the 5 year lease and the subleasee gave notice they were not renewing their lease. The problem is that the lease ended June 1st and they have not removed their...

View more questions Search