Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Windows xp or vista
    I will need new desktop within 6 months. Need advice whether to go with xp or wait for vista.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 12:02 PM
    vista Less Security Problems
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 02:17 PM
    I'm of the opposite opinion. Go XP. Vista will have bugs for the first year and all your stuff will work on XP for years. XP is secure enough if you keep it updated.

... just my 1.5 cents worth...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 30, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Stay with XP until they release Service Pack 1 for Vista and iron out some of the "Undocumented Features" (Bugs) that always arise in new Mirco$oft products.

Hey Vista is already 2 years late so might as well wait another one for them to get it right ;)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 12:48 AM
    I'm also with Ben & Rick here - When have Microsoft ever released anything without bugs in?

Also, you won't get any extra functionality out of Vista I doubt, so why pay the extra?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Aug 31, 2006, 03:46 AM
    So as others said, go with XP. But make sure that whatever you buy will be able to handle Vista. You can still buy a PC in 6 months that will not run Vista so I recommend that you look at the minimum specs from Microsoft for what a machine needs to be (pay special attention to the CPU) and then double it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2006, 06:50 AM
    New PCs are starting to carry the Vista Capable tag on them. So you can get a machine with that label and be assured it will run Vista.

The real issue is whether you need the extra features that Vista will have. There should be a What's New page for Vista on Microsoft's site to check what will be in it.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2006, 10:22 AM
    If you are getting a 64 bit machine then it's a whole different story. I recommend linux myself like redhat fedora. If you don't want to bother than at least make sure you get the 64 bit version
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2006, 10:34 AM
    I would NOT recommend anyone getting other than a 64 bit machine these days unless they are a very casual user on a very limited budget.

If you want to run Vista, then you should get a 64 bit machine. Though Vista will run on a 32 bit machine, it will not be able to take advantage of the 64 bit features.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Windows Vista Security run-around? [ 5 Answers ]

There will be nine variants of Vista,with slightly (not much) different features (maybe I'm talking security here),will the crackers out there implement nine different ways to hack-in.Will there be nine slightly different products of anti-virus,spyware,et el,to combat that threat.Thus at a...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows 98 se [ 6 Answers ]

My windows 98se was corrupted. So I reinstalled it. My old programs are working. But those programs are not showing in the new add/remove programs list - to unstall it or see what are all they. Plese tell me how to see those ones in this add/remove programs.

View more questions Search