Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Repairing weathered fascia
    When I re-roofed my home about 4 years ago I neglected to replace some fascia that had been damaged by the hot AZ sun. I have filled some of the cracks with painters caulk, and others with spackling compound. Prior to applying those materials I cleaned the surfaces with a belt sander and a wire brush. After one year those materiald are falling out, taking the paint with it.

Replacing that fascia at this time is not in consideration, because getting under the new drip edge and removing the staples and nails holding the fascia would damage my new roof.

Some have suggested automotive "Bondo", but I believe that it would not expand and contract with the temperature. I have considered Simpson Set 22 epoxy, but that might have the same problem as Bondo.

Can anyone suggest a product that would work. Otherwise I will have to get some aluminum siding formed to fit, and cover up the unsightly fascia.

Thanks for any advice
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    aluminum siding formed to fit,
    That would be the way to go. If its plain fascia and not dental fascia etc. Don't beat yourself. Cover it. There are so many colors to pick from. Normally a repaint is 5 to 7 years. Your geo with the weather I would think at least every 5 years. Cover it for good. Stop wasting time and money. In the long run its cheaper to cover it. I do this for a living and I would feel bad not trying to talk mu customer into covering the fascia. The only time I don't if its historical and very decorative and I refuse to cover it. I brake out the difference in numbers and its becomes a no brainer

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

24"-36" weathered bronze downrod for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a 24"-36" weathered bronze downrod for a Hampton Bay 60" ceiling fan?

Repairing PVC pipe [ 1 Answers ]

We were putting up some shelving in a closet and inadvertently drilled a 1/4" hole through the drain pipe from the washer upstairs. Can we just plug this hole with epoxy of some kind or do we need to replace the pipe?

Repairing muscles [ 8 Answers ]

How would I be able to stop my lef calf muscle from hurting constantly, I've either pulled it, bruised it or damaged it the pain is originating from about 3 inches under the knee cap, down the left side of my left leg

View more questions Search