Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    granny24 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Identifying Photos from World War I Era
    I have recently discovered an album which belonged to my grandmother's brother who died of measles while in the Army in World War I.

The photographs are of scenery and hospitals and appear to be somewhere overseas. I would love to be able to identify where they were taken, etc. The quality of some are quite good, others have darkened or faded with time.

Can anyone suggest how I would go about trying to get information about the photos?
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 05:11 PM

Hi, granny24!

The two images that you've posted here remind me a lot of the national parks that are in the western part of the United States.

There are also genealogy and history forums where it might be possible to post images where people might know about what is in the images.

Genealogy Forum - Google Search

History Forums - Google Search

Then of course, there is the site that we're on right here.

Thanks!
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 16, 2009, 04:04 PM

Looks an awful lot like Chimney Rock In Western North Carolina, see The Chimney at Chimney Rock Park. The lake in the later Chimney Rock picture is Lake Lure, a man-made lake on the Rocky Broad River.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 05:29 PM

Hey, it really does look like that place, FlyYakker! I had forgotten about those kind of places also being on the eastern part of the U.S.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Below, is the image from that same site that you listed, FlyYakker.

Name:  Chimney at Chimney Rock Park - Enlarged.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  120.6 KB
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 09:54 AM

I would recommend uploading these images to Flickr-The Commons( http://www.flickr.com/commons/ ),where historical images exist and members from all over the world add their information to it.

Good luck!
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the information, firmbeliever!
    granny24 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Thanks everyone! One mystery solved.

I've attached a couple more of his photos. Does this place look like anywhere any of you have seen?
    Attached Images

FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 19, 2009, 06:02 PM

Seems to be an Eastern Orthodox church on top and the writing appears to be Cyrillic in the bottom picture... Russian or a language related there to. I know I'm not making earthshaking statements here. Anybody read Russian?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help identifying a plant... [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that it might be an African Euphorbia of some kind. Is that right? (the leaves are flat, not bulbous) http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3012/cactus4cb.jpg

Identifying fallacies [ 1 Answers ]

Find one example of a fallacy from a newspaper editorial, and another from an opinion magazine. For each fallacy you find, summarize the issue, and determine which side of the issue the writer supports. Categorize the fallacies based on their characteristics, and describe the impact of the...

Identifying a pill [ 6 Answers ]

The pill I found is oblong, white. On the one side It says 2 then it is scored,then it says 125. The other side says imo. Any help would bee great! Thanks

View more questions Search