Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pugdom Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Chiral molecules
    What specific feature determines whether a given molecule is chiral ?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 11:07 AM

Look at a single carbon atom. If each of the four moieties (groups) surrounding that carbon atom is different (different number of carbon, hydrogen, or something else), the molecule is chiral. All four must be different.

Mar 15, 2009, 12:01 PM

Im studying halothane-desflurane-isoflurane...

Im being asked which of these molecules are chiral and to draw two representations of the structure which arise because the molecule is chiral...

With the answer you have given none have four different atoms coming off the carbon... What am I doing wrong ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 12:50 PM

Halothane is CF3 - C(H)(Br)(Cl)
    Desflurane is CF3 - C(H)(F)-O-CF2H
    Isofluane is CF3-C(H)(Cl)-OCF2H

The rightmost carbon of halothane is chiral because it has four different groups attached to it: -CF3, -H, -Br, and -Cl

The second carbom from the left of desflurane and isoflurane is the "chiral center" for the same reasons.

When you draw the chiral center, you have to show the three dimensional structure or it doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately, I can't draw ;-) but Wikipedia has a page on chirality that shows some drawings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(chemistry))

File:Chiral.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two different structrures are called "enantiomers". They are designated "L", "l", Levorotatory, or "+" and "D", "d", Dextrororatory, or "-". When you pass a polarized light through a solution of the molecule, the plane of polarization is rotated either to the left "L", or to the right, "D".

Levorotation and dextrorotation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:18 PM

Perito I had to spread the rep but your answer is very good.

Mar 15, 2009, 03:06 PM

Thank you Perito you are most helpful.I will try and understand it and take it all in.

Mar 16, 2009, 11:08 AM
    I know understand which parts are chiral but am having trouble drawing two representations which arise because the molecule is chiral...

I am presuming the mean mirror image of the chiral part ?

If so does the CF3 and the CF2H stay in there original place?

In other words is it just the chiral parts that has the mirror image ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 12:23 PM

The two enantiomers are mirror images. They represent two different molecules -- one left-handed and the other right-handed.

You can think of -CF3 and -CF2H as simply rotating groups. They will rotate, in reality. You say, "stay in their original places", and I guess that is correct.

The "chiral center" is the carbon atom at the center of it all. Yes, the chiral center has the mirror image. If you created a three-dimensional model of one of the non-chiral centers, and if you tried to make a mirror image of it, you would find that you could rotate one of the images so it would be superimposed on the remaining one. In other words, there is no mirror image of a non-chiral center.

Look at the Wikipedia pictures. It's not possible to superimpose the images of chiral molecules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Life like gas molecules [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to everybody, I want to ask something about my future.. I passed my high secondary school (12) examination with 64.33% of marks not with very good results... (due to my illness) I LOOK really good pure white complexion with 180cm of height.. So can I take advantage of that in some field...

Water molecules [ 2 Answers ]

Give two characteristics of the water molecule that would not occur if it was not a polar molecule? Explain the Adiabatic Heating and cooling? Here do we see examples of both in the world?

Hydrogen gas molecules [ 2 Answers ]

How many molecules in 23 moles of hydrogen gas?

Polarity and molecules [ 1 Answers ]

People usually think of water as being "wet". If water alone is used to wash clothing, however, it doesn't penetrate the fabric very well. How does the addition of detergent make water "wetter" (more capable of penetrating the pores of the fabric)? Explain how a substance's polarity and...

View more questions Search