Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nepalilainen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 09:23 AM
    PhD Scholarship
    Hi,
    I am recently graduated from Finland.I m looking for scholarship for my PhD program in Finland or some other country.Since,I am very much interested to work in the field of social inclusion and exclusion,social stratification,social discrimination.Do you have any ideas regarding PhD in sociology with these subject areas?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:01 AM

Read papers about what you are interested in and then contact the principal investigators (the last names on the papers), you can do this by googling their names. In my experience contacting the researchers doing what you want to do is the best and easiest way to get a position. The principal investigator may already have access to funding, or know where to apply for it. The funding part isn't really your job, especially as you are an EU student. If you apply outside Europe this may be more difficult.

Speak to your undergraduate lecturers, many of them will be active researchers in the field, they may know of people who have Ph.D positions available, or may have some themselves in their labs.

Depending on what you got/will get in your degree will depend on how competitive you are for funding. If you do not have high enough grades you can always get a MSc first. You may have to do this anyway in finland, but could probably skip this if you go over to the UK.

Good luck! The best tactic is to talk to people in the jobs you would like in the future, they have already gone through the whole process and will be able to advise you. That is what I did and it made my Ph.D application and obtaining funding really easy and straightforward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarship [ 2 Answers ]

QUESTION #1: I will be going back to school and will start FALL of 2009 at a Vocational School and get my Microsoft Certifications to become a System's Administrator. What type of financial assistance can I get for I am ...

Scholarship [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Nigerian and I wish to study in the us?uk.Are there any scholarshps by a body like commonwealth, united nations etc that would take care of my tuition, feeding, transportation, accommodation,fees etc through my four years of study?

View more questions Search