Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michelle Ekwe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Local taxes
    My job takes out local taxes for the area where I work, but no local taxes for where I live. Do I apply this without money for my local taxes even though it's not from my locality?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:21 AM

Depends where you live & work. In general. If you have not had any taxes withheld for the municipality where you live (lets call it municipality "A"), and if you owe them tax money based on your income, then you owe them some money. The fact that some taxes were withheld for the municipality where you work (call it municiaplity "B") is immaterial as far a "A" is concerned. So no, you don't apply the money withheld for "B" to the taxes you owe to "A." However, some areas have reciprocal agreements that allow you to apply taxes collected in one area to taxes owed in another.

It would really be helpful if you would get more specific - what "localities" are you referring to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I pay state/local taxes where I live or where employer is located? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I live in MS and our employers are based in AL. I work from home and my employer does not deduct AL state and local taxes, but does deduct MS state taxes. My husband is a truck drive and his employer states that they are to deduct AL state and local taxes and will not switch to...

Local Taxes for O'hara and Sharpsburg PA 15215 [ 1 Answers ]

How can a get Information about local Taxes. I'm looking for LOCAL DBL/SUI AND O'HARA AND SHARPSBURG

J1 trainee local taxes back with IT203 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a J1 visa holder from Germany. Can I file the tax return also for local taxes as non resident (even I live in NY state)? What forms do I have to fill? Is IT-203 enough? THX so much

PA Local Wage Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Where is it in Pennsylvania State Law books that individuals must pay local earned income tax quarterly or face penalties? Individuals do not have to pay State or federal taxes quarterly yet local municipalities were gcomes from.ven this reign of terror and nobody can tell me where it I

NYC Local Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Staten Island, and work in New Jersey. I currently have New Jersey worked in state and New York lived in state taxes being deducted from my pay check. Should my employer being deducting New York City Local tax from my check? Thanks!

View more questions Search