Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xkon2007 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Disable autorun
    I tried to disable autorun in windows xp home with that: US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA09-020A -- Microsoft Windows Does Not Disable AutoRun Properly
    But I still receive the window asking "what you want to do?".You know.
    Ι found an other way, with the program "TweakUI" from here : Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP.
    Does anyone tried.
    Do you know other easier way to disable autorun and autoplay?
    Thank you.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 11:24 AM

TweakUI is about as easy as it gets.

Here are some good articles about autorun and autoplay from Windows Secrets newsletter:

AutoRun patch a long time coming for XP users

Microsoft flubs a way to disable AutoRun in XP
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Mar 26, 2009, 06:56 PM

Check out the following site for information and pictures:

Disable Autoplay of Audio CDs and USB Drives :: the How-To Geek
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 12:07 AM

Hi, It can be disable through registry and before doing these steps, you must take the back up of registry.
    These are the steps for Windows xp home edition, click on the Start button > run > regedit > try to find out this registry key : HKEY_current_user\software\microsoft\windowsnt\cur rent version\inifilemapping\ autoran.inf and crate the new value that is as NoDrivetypeautorun and then, type the dword, like 0x000000b1 then, restart the computer to make the change.

Another way:Start > run type > gpedit.msc > administrative templets > double clilck on the system and then scroll down, it will find autoplay that trun off autoplay...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Autorun.inf File [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I made an autorun.inf file on my CD. However, when it runs, it autoruns, but an error message pops up: "E:\ access is denied". This is due to shell blocking of my autorun, for if I go and double click it, it says the same thing. What is the problem here? Here is my autorun.inf: ...

Custom Autorun Options [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a portable version of the Firefox browser on my USB memory key. When I insert the key into a USB port, the autorun dialog pops up (see attached image). How can I add "Launch Portable Firefox" to this list? Moishe

Auto.exe and autorun.inf [ 5 Answers ]

I accidentally deleted both auto.exe and autorun.inf in my drive C, since both were detected as virus. But after doing so, my drive C can not be opened anymore... I can not restore the deleted files anymore despite doing "system restore" What to do now? Help...

Autorun dialog [ 9 Answers ]

Why every time I insert some devices into my laptop USB port, Autorun dialog did not pops up ? :mad: How to enable it ? :confused:

View more questions Search