Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TeenTitan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Emancipation, All My Friends Are Doing It
    So yea, Im 17 and a guy, me and my circle of about 12 of my closest friends, mixed girls and guys have done pretty much everything together since the nursery. Our parents are really good friends, but also really naïve to our actions. Were like a little rebellion mob, all of us lost our V-cards (Virginity), within 3 days of each other, as planned, and we frequently sneak out at night for parties and such. Im almost sure our parents wouldn't mind us attending the occasional rave because were "model" students great grades, colleges beating down the door, sports scholarships and all, but its just not something we want to bring up to them. However for our next big group activity we've been thinking about going on a trip. Think of us as a group of Chris McCandless's (Into The Wild). We just want adventure. So we decided to run off to Texas. We also want to know if we should try to get Emancipated. Many of people around us are. A few of my friends, have signed papers and all including my X, but I don't know if its for me. I don't really know what it is, and I've always been the one in the group to look at the legal aspect of stuff. Are there any requirements? Can you ever come back? Will my parents hate me? Can my parents say no? I don't want to mess up my future with a stupid decision. I guess I'm asking for a little insight on it, because I'm sure Webster's Dictionary could give me a fine definition but that's not what I want. I found this site by reading a thread about a man who's wife had cheated, I ended up reading all of the pages, I liked the advice I saw being given, so I decided to ask a question on my own.

Any advice would help,

TeenTitan
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:10 AM

Why?

How ungrateful.

So you think you are grown up and ready to sever the ties and make it all on your own?

Do you have any idea how much further education costs? How hard it is to set up on your own, get houses, get depsits. You might think everything your parents can do for you has been done. You are so wrong, in your life the **** is about to hit the fan.

What have your parents ever done to deseve such an ungrateful and harsh action upon them. Go on do it, set them free form the financial and emotional resposnsibility that is you. Good luck surviving on your own.

How Can a Child Become Emancipated from Her Parents?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 11:20 AM

I hope you get all you deserve.

And you can't just "sign papers" to be emancipated, it takes going to court and having a judge sign off. Your parents will have the right to contest it.

You will have to have enough money and income to pay for your livig expenses and continued education to high school, This is on your own, not sharing a place with several other kids.

I feel so sorry for your parents.
    TeenTitan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 11:36 AM

WHoa guys. Thanks for you input. But please understand I don't hate my parents. IM not running away, but I do want to go on this trip. If my parents contest it, that's there fault. There expecting me to be gon in a few months anyway (When I turn 18). MY dad put it very clearly. "Son youve got a week from your 18th birthday to find somewhere else to live, if ur still here after that week im calling the police". I mean you he's my father so he probobly won't fulfill that promise, but I don't take chance with him. I Doubt emancipation will be the process I take, because judging by the what Fr_Chuck said, ill probobly be 18 by the time its all over anyway.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 11:42 AM

Have you ever read Catcher in the Rye? Somehow I feel it will appeal to you.
    Diehardrocks92 Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Mar 15, 2009, 12:16 PM

Seriously get off this guys back
    he doesnt hate his parents he just wants to be in charge of his own life every child appreciates what their parents do for them but alot of parents dont realise that teenagers need space to figure out who they are and who they want to be
    And in answer to your question i dont think that u should be emancipated it would take to long and sounds a bit like your just following the herd you really need to think about who you are and where your going with your life and how you get there dont just take the jump and hope you can fly think about it alot before you do anythin permenant xxx
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenTitan View Post
    MY dad put it very clearly. "Son youve got a week from your 18th birthday to find somewhere else to live, if ur still here after that week im calling the police".
    What is THAT all about??
    iLy541 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 02:34 PM

This is serious. If you get emancipated its telling the judge that you can support yourself and are fine living alone. Yes your parents would be very diappointed in you. Its basically saying "i dont need you anymore, you are nothing in my life and im leaving and living on my own. bye." live above the influence and be the leader not the follower. Your turning 18 soon so it really wouldn't matter anyway. You'll officially be a grown adult and be able to do what you want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends who turned out to be false friends [ 11 Answers ]

Does any one have experience of people they thought to be friends but they turned out to be false friends ?

Emancipation [ 2 Answers ]

How old does a minor have to be in the state of Indiana to emancipate themselves?

View more questions Search