Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farmerette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Snakes
    We live on 10 acres and are currently living in a camper trailer while we renovate our home. We have garter snakes and I am terrified of them, so much so that I won't leave the camper during the day unless absolutely necessary. (I know that they are harmless and eat mice etc. etc. but suppose this is a phobia.)

What is the best way to get rid of these gross creatures? My husband killed seven that were within 50 feet of the camper last Sunday. Has anyone tried a product called "Snake Away"? Apparently you spread it around the perimeter of the area you want to keep the snakes away from and it repels them. This certainly doesn't sound like a permanent solution to me.

Thanks for any ideas!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 08:35 AM
    They'll stay under logs, sheet metal or plywood on the ground, crawl in between cracks in rock walls, etc.

We had some where I grew up. Best we could do was limit the places for them to hide around the house and garage. Remove debris, etc.

I've no experience with products. Others will hopefully chime in.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Guinea Hens will keep all snakes, scorpions and bugs away. They will also alert you to intruders. They are like chickens on steroids. They originate in Africa I believe. Some people eat them also but I think that is a French thing!
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Get some cats the larger the better...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Please forgive my piping in but not answering directly. I promise you this: If you can muster up some courage and go out there and turn logs over until you see one, then before you can change your mind reach down and pick it up, here's what will happen:

It will pretend to nip at you but not bite... and if it bites, it will feel like a light pinch and not even come close to breaking the skin or even making it red.

After 15 seconds it will become more docile than any pet you've owned.

You might even start thinking how cool it is to be over your phobia.

... then you can leave them alone, call them friends and let them keep your property rid of other critters that you should dislike far worse than them.

Go for it Farmerette!
    Farmerette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    theyll stay under logs, sheet metal or plywood on the ground, crawl in between cracks in rock walls, etc.

we had some where i grew up. best we could do was limit the places for them to hide around the house and garage. remove debris, etc.

ive no experience with products. others will hopefully chime in.
    ____
    Thanks a bunch! My husband has his bobcat out as we speak and we're removing both front and back steps. I'm not sure why... I think he just like playing with his bobcat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Snakes [ 2 Answers ]

:o I have always wondered when snakes in my area come out of hybernation. I have many leaves to clean up & have been scared by lizards & snakes enough! I live in Bangor, Pa. Can someone answer my question? Thank you for your time with this request! Wendy ;D ;D ;D ;D

When do snakes come out of hibernation? [ 11 Answers ]

My kids and I love to catch snakes in the summertime. Some rat snakes and garders but mostly water snakes: Queens and Northerns, which we typically find under rocks in creeks and rivers. In my area (central ohio) it gets very cold, so I do understand that they hibernate... but I'm not finding...

Snakes [ 4 Answers ]

What type of snakes would you find in the Jungles in South America? Which ones wrap themselves around and suffocate their prey?

Can snakes climb walls [ 4 Answers ]

Help!! Do snakes climb up walls? I live in an apartment on the outskirts of Rome and I need to know if I can open my windows!! Thank you for your help!!

View more questions Search