Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monicaO Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
    # of people allowed to live in a 2bedroom apartment
    My neighbors upstairs have 2adults and 3 kids(one is a 1year old). I remember when I signed our lease there was another paper that read something like. In a 2bedroom apartment they only allowed 2 adults 2kids and a baby under 6months. I live in Texas so I wanted to know if that is a law here or just something my apartment goes by? If it is a law what should I do because on top of all of this we have had problems with them having there music to loud he have called the police on them one already because of it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 07:09 PM

There is no such law -

As far as the music, call the Police.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 07:27 PM
    If there is a law then it would be a local zoning law. You can contact your town's Building Department or the Board of Health to find out if there are any zoning laws that apply.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 07:36 PM

Yes it is most likely a apartment rule, not a law, and of course the apartment management can break their own rules if they wish.

After that it may be a local city zone issues
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    If there is a law then it would be a local zoning law. You can contact your town's Building Department or the Board of Health to find out if there are any zoning laws that apply.

I should have been more specific - I was addressing Texas State Law and find no such Statute. This has also been asked and answered before, specifically concerning Texas, not localities within Texas.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:46 PM

If the local Zoning Dept deems that there are too many kids in a 2 bedroom apt, the tenants will be forced to move. It is not up to the apt management, it is up to the county officials. Once the children are of a certain age they are counted differently.

Check with the Zoning Dept and if needed they will personally come and assess the situation of the family. If they are found to be in violation, the family will be given (usually) something like 6 months to find other accommodations.

At least that's the way it is here in Ohio.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
    You always have the option to write a complaint to your landlord if in fact speaking to the neighbor and asking that they turn it down does not help.

Keep in mind that noise is allowed within reason during the day.

A landlord could send a warning to them and it may help.
    They could also threaten eviction.

We had a issue with a neighbor once and we were all told to keep a journal and send it weekly to the landlord and to call the police and keep track of those too. Within a month they had the people put out that was causing the issues. Mind you this involved noise, fighting, traffic back and forth that revolved around drugs and open drug use in the hallways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in an apartment complex with unstable neighbors [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an low income apartment complex with unstable neighbors who are trying to get me kicked out. Although I went to the apartment manager, she held a meeting in which the other tenants claimed that I was the one doing, what they were doing to me, ex. Banging on walls, playing music real loud...

What is the right size gas furnace for a 950 sqft 2bedroom apartment? [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 6 unit 3 story brick apartment building in Nebraska. The building and furnaces are 40 year old. Each unit is 950 sqft, 5 rooms (2B, 1B, K & LR), has appx. 100sqft of single pain windows. One contractor wants to sell me a 75,000 BTU Goodman the other a 50,000 BTU Comfortmaker. What size...

Can my Room mate's boyfriend live in our shared apartment without paying? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently live in a two bedroom apartment in Ontario with my boyfriend (who pays rent and is on the lease) and my previous room mate of last year (who pays rent and is on the lease). However, my previous room mate has a boyfriend who has consistently been in our apartment (approx. 6 days a week...

Visitors not allowed at apartment. [ 4 Answers ]

Can a landlord in North Carolina ban visitors from helping/visiting a special needs handicapped person's apartment when the person needs people to bring her things and take her to specific places? The people only come to drop off or pick up and may stay for only a short time.

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search