Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josskacer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Weightlifting headaches
    I seem to get a mild headaches that last several days after lifting weights. They are not severe but they are a nuisance, its almost like a pressure more than a pain. The pain seems to be associated with a desire to pop my ears in a valsalva action. If I go a week or so without lifting then the pain goes away. There also seems to be tension in my neck area as well. I don't know what is going on. This happened a couple of years ago and I ended up having to stop lifting for months. I have been to doctors and they seem to be clueless. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
    I had a similar problem where I would get a bad headache the day after lifting. I find that having a healthy snack and some water before and after your workout will keep your sugar levels balanced and you will be much less likely to get a headache afterwards. Also breathe during your workout and don't hold your breath while lifting which can raise blood pressure. Cool down after your workout.
    woodpony22 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Apr 24, 2009, 08:58 PM

The neck and headache may be related. This will sound crazy but it works. Press the tip of your tongue hard into the bridge of your mouth behind your upper teeth. Maintain the pressure through out the set. Doing this stops you from clinching your neck muscles during the lift.Also try dropping the weight to below 50% of your max and see if that allows you to contract only the muscles you are targeting while relaxing everything else except the core.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Headaches during sex [ 5 Answers ]

I am getting headaches during sexual intercourse or even masturbation anyone have a clue about this?

About weightlifting.again lol [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everybody, so this is a question more pointed at weightlifters. Imagine the scene, your working out hard, trying your best to get those last few reps in and feeling your arms dying, afterwards your weak and can hardly lift anything, then the next day you feel no pain! My question is does...

Weightlifting & Hair loss [ 3 Answers ]

Weight ifting & hairloss is there a link?? It is known that weightlifting causes increased testosterone levels. If you have the genetic makeup where baldness is present, is it risky lifting weights?? DHT is what causes the hairloss to happen. I have read forums whereby people mention they are...

Testicle pain when weightlifting [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am 17 years old. I lift weight a lot, well I used to . This whole summer I have laid around watching anime and losing muscle. Mainly because I had this lump on my right testicle and I was in a lot of amounts of pain, and my doctor could not really find any explenation for it at all what so...

View more questions Search