Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wally Dog Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Giant overweight daschund
    I have an 8yr. Old male. He weights about 30 pounds with a girth of 21 inchs. He almost looks like a black and tan basset hound. I have taken him to the vet several times concerning his weight with the only suggestion being changing his food and amount. He is on the Iams Weight Control with one cup per day regiment. He drinks about a gallon of water per day easy. The Vet does not believe that he is Diabetic, but if he were human, I would bet on it.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 02:12 PM

Does he get enough exercise? If you've reduced his calorie intake and he isn't losing weight, the next thing to do us increase the amount of exercise he gets.

Did the vet check his thyroid?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 14, 2009, 09:28 PM

Akoue is right. Have his thyroid checked for sure. I would also wonder about kidney disease. He is extremely overweight, and this could lead to heart conditions. His food intake seems fine, but if he's drinking that much water, there is definitely an underlying cause. Has your vet showed no concern other than saying he isn't diabetic? If he hasn't, I would get myself a new vet. One that seems to know and care about each dog individually. They must know how much our fur babes mean to us! Definitely start with blood tests for a thyroid condition, and then go down the line of other possibilities until you find out the reasons he is so heavy, and why his water intake is so extreme.

I wish you the best of luck in finding out what is going on, so your dog can be with you for many more yrs. and live a happy, healthy life.
    lala55555 Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    -

Mar 14, 2009, 10:56 PM

Aww lol too cute I love daccunds (aka weiner dogs :D) well take him on like 2 walks a day and well you mite not want to give him Iams because of what hapend with all those dogs and cats a few yrs back just in case and yaa :) good luck and post a photo of himm plesee
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 14, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lala55555 View Post
    aww lol too cute i love daccunds (aka weiner dogs :D) well take him on like 2 walks a day and well u mite not wanna give him Iams because of wat hapend with all those dogs and cats a few yrs back just in case and yaa :) good luck and post a photo of himm plesee
    I don't think this is anything "cute." This is a medical issue, and unless you've got something to contribute that will help, this was useless information. I'm sure he's adorable, but there is nothing cute about a dog that could die if there aren't tests done to figure out the underlying problem. You cannot say not to feed him Iam's just because there was whatever issue you are talking about that happened a few yrs. Ago. Iam's would not be my choice, but there are no problems concerning contamination with the Iam's brand at this point.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 08:07 AM

1 cup a day sounds a bit too much to me. Especially if you are not exercising the dog a lot. Heck, my 85 pound Lab got only two cups a day and it kept his weight perfect for his frame. How many table scarps do you give your dog?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lala55555 View Post
    aww lol too cute i love daccunds (aka weiner dogs :D) well take him on like 2 walks a day and well u mite not wanna give him Iams because of wat hapend with all those dogs and cats a few yrs back just in case and yaa :) good luck and post a photo of himm plesee

This is a ridiculous answer - and as far as Iams is concerned you are way off base.

This type of weight problem is most definitely not "cute."
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:19 AM

As suggested above get a new vet, cut down on the food (work outhow much he should have for his breed size the vet should help with this), take him on lots of short walks. Because of thies shape it can be difficult to get dashunds the exercise they need and you must be careful his little legs and his long back will already be under a lot of stress. Have you considered getting him to swim? He'll get more exercise due to the water resistance and his spine will be supported by the water. Ask the (new) vet about any programes for this in your area.

Also be honest, do you or anyone else feed him scaps from the table, or does he raid bins? You've got to be cruel to be kind and be tough on food treats.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Mar 15, 2009, 10:38 AM

I have a Jack Russel mix (adopted rescue - have no idea what the other part is)... shorter legs and longer back... she swims better then most bigger dogs and is in great shape. She goes for 3 walks and the evening walk is an off-leash area with a lake (1 - 1 1/2 hour walk and swim). She had lots of treats and plenty of dog food - the trick is balance for us... she could easily become overweight if exercise was not consistent. Our other dog that passed away 2 years ago at 17 years of age was a German Shepard/Husky... she had weight problems but the same exercise. IAMS sometimes isn't the best... didn't the vet recommend dietary food from the clinic? As we had to get specialized treats and food as well as balanced intake of water... it was hard. No scraps at all... the only thing we gave our dogs where fruit and vegetables - believe it or not they ate it!

Mar 15, 2009, 10:41 AM
    There is a reason why he gets 1 cup of food per day. Along with him, we also have his daughter, she is a mid-dachshund at about 13 lbs. 5yrs old and only loves men. Not a good dog with women at all. Nevertheless, she has shown no issues with this, she eats about a third of a cup per day and does drink a quart of water by herself everyday. I give both of them a cup and it survives the full day.

Wally roams the neighborhood for a half an hour three times per day doing his male rounds. With his one eye, he is still gregarious with other male dogs and not afraid to pick a fight or two. The vet actually recommended the Iams, showed concern about his weight as well. While we have been able to get him to as low as 27 lbs from time to time, he seemingly drinks it back up. The vet has stated that his heart is good, especially considering his weight. There have been no blood tests for any genetic or environmental conditions.

Wally started life and lived for 5 yrs in the cab of a Frightliner Semi-truck. His daughter lived three years this way before I was asked to take care of them by my father-in-law as a favor for one of his friends. They are both good puppies. Heck, Wally even sits like a ground hog for ten minutes or so just to get your attention.

I don't know what is wrong with him, wish I did. Given his weight and partial blindness I actually only foresee him living another two years at best.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 11:17 AM

His blood work would indicate if he's diabetic, if it's some kidney problem, whatever the cause of the problem is. As far as Iams - I recommend that people do their own research.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 15, 2009, 11:42 AM

Do you let a half blind dog roam the neighbourhood alone? Why would you let that happen? Is he neutered? Why would you let him get into dog fights with someone else's dog? Is this all the exercise he gets? That isn't exercise. He needs DAILY walks, on a leash! Fast paced walks and runs. It's no wonder he is overweight!

Mar 15, 2009, 07:33 PM
    No, that is not all the exercise that he gets, he runs the yard for at least two hours a day plus his chasing the children around the house. It is also my belief that a dog must first and foremost be allowed to be a dog. I am not a pampering owner of animals. I love them, I let them be who they are as that is the only real way that any animal will be happy.

He is not a normal dachshund sized dog, not just because of his weight, but his actual skull is larger than any other dachshund that I have ever seen-and there are a lot around my neighborhood. To be honest, if it were not for his AKC papers, I would think that he was a mix with something like a Rottweiler. He is also 14 inches to the top of his head and 23 inches from nose to hind quarter-- and he has real papers.

I get that he would be better off with more exercise. I get that another vet's opinion would be helpful for his health. I know these things and work on them, I am actually more acute as to what other owners of over-sized dachshunds have done to bring them back into a more structured form.

I love my Wally, but I am not going to remove his personality for the sake of looking like a good pet owner. He is also my friend.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 05:20 AM

I'm sorry but allowing your "friend" who is somewhat vision impaired and gets into fights to roam the streets unattended is NOT being either a good pet owner or a good friend.

I love my dogs but they are dogs, not fur covered children. They do NOT run loose. Part of being their "friend" is protecting people from them - and protecting them from people.

If you want dogs to be dogs, let them live in the wild and don't bring them into your house as pets.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 06:59 PM

I completely disagree with all your statements iloveyou1994.

She said she is "not going to lose his personality for the sake of looking like a good pet owner"

His personality has nothing to do with his size... Out of all the breeds daschunds are the worst dogs to have overweight as it can damage their long spines. She is killing her own dog.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveyou1994 View Post
    This dog is about to die and you are saying that it should be put outside. Very bad advice Judy.

This was posted in March so if the dog was about to die, now it's dead.

Always amazes me when someone comes out of nowhere to criticize - never seen before, will never be seen again.

What lives under a bridge? Oh, I know, a troll. And a troll who doesn't have the b*lls to post under his/her own name and has to open a second account.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 08:02 PM

Poster and evil twin both suspended -
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:05 PM

Yes, they were obviouly the same person, harder when they are using dial up, but with type of posts, and the exact server even the blind dog would have seen that one.
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 10:26 PM

I agree with judy. It is never OK to let a dog roam the streets. I don't care what kind of "personality" the dog has. You are an extremely irresponsible owner to even think that that is OK. Leash laws are for a reason. What would happen one day when you dog deosnt come back? Cause it will happen. Either he will get hit, killed by another animal, taken by animal control, or someone just simply taking him home. Think about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red and Giant PANDAS [ 2 Answers ]

What are some things that Red Pandas and Giant Pandas have in common?:confused:

Giant overweight daschund [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 8yr. Old male. I have taken him to the vet several times concerning his weight with the only suggestion being changing his food and amount. He is on the Iams Weight Control with one cup per day regiment. He drinks about a gallon of water per day easy. The Vet does not believe that he...

My dog is an overweight giant [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is a daschund, and he is overweight, he should only weigh at least 10 pounds but he weighs 21, he has fat hanging from his belly (alot of fat), he is very active runs fast and everything but he is growing stretch marks and he is only 2 years old. What should I do about my fat dog?:confused:

Red and giant pandas [ 2 Answers ]

Are the red panda and giant panda related??

Overweight daschund [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 5yr old female, has had back surgery and hind legs are wobbly but usually OK. She gets only about 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day. I think the problem is lack of exercise because she will not willingly go out or run around. Any suggestions about food? Has anyone tried the diet of canned...

View more questions Search