Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hughesie09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 08:24 AM
    I want to get away from home
    Hi I'm 22 years old and I live at home. In 2004 I went to prison for a few years and when I came home all I've wanted to do is just get away. I'm stuck at home constantly I can't get a job because of my record and I have no friends. My mum and dad don't really talk to me. This just makes me want to go I wanted to join the army but they wouldn't let me join.

I don't have any money so I can't exactly move out but there must be something else I can do. My life in prison seriously was better then the life I have now but I won't go back there.

Any suggestions would be grateful.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 09:21 AM

I find it hard to believe you can't find any job, anywhere, no matter how menial.

If you don't want to be home, then you have to move out.

I don't know why you don't have any friends. Perhaps there are support groups of some sort in your area.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
    If you want to join the army, you should do that. You are 22 - you don't need your parents permission. It would be a great place for you to learn to stand on your own.
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    If you want to join the army, you should do that. You are 22 - you don't need your parents permission. It would be a great place for you to learn to stand on your own.

In my area at least the Armed Forces at the moment are not accepting people with certain criminal backgrounds (sex offenders being one category, felons being another).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 10:07 AM

Let's start from the positive -- what are you good at? Working with your hands? Dealing with all kinds of people? Relating to animals? Computers? etc.

Are you in a villege, city, or rural area? Which country? (I'm guessing the UK or Australia or Canada.)

Why were you in prison (your crime was so bad the friends disappeared)? How big a risk are you to an employer?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    In my area at least the Armed Forces at the moment are not accepting people with certain criminal backgrounds (sex offenders being one category, felons being another).
    Good point - I was going on the assumption that his parents were the only obstacle.
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Good point - I was going on the assumption that his parents were the only obstacle.

You could very well be right - just thought I'd throw the other factor in just in case. It's hard to tell from the post.
    hughesie09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
    I can't go in the army because I served more then 33 months in prison its not my parents that won't let me go in
    tammerzrocks777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2009, 11:59 AM

The army may not be for you for now... it sounds like you want the responsibility that comes with what the army is. You can find jobs...
    Just go apply everywhere even if it's not something you think you would get if you want a job badly enough you can get one.
    You may want to say willing to discuss instead of putting in black and white what you did on your applications... this at least gets your foot in the door. Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 12:10 PM

So you get a job, make a job, what type of skills do you have.
    Flipping hamburgers perhaps, a car wash or more.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 12:18 PM

You need ot make sure you have the best CV possible. Make sure you write a skills based CV not a timed based CV. That way you don't put emphasis on being in prison but on what you can do.
    Skills Based CV - Great CVs (UK)

Job seeking is tough at the moment, my boyfriend can't get a job skilled, unskilled or between at the moment and he has a degree and relevant work experience so I hate to think what you are up against.

You need something to put in your CV, did you do any courses in prison? You should try volunteering, it gives you skills, proves you contribute and have a good work ethics, it also allows you to network with potential employers. I volunteered in school and got one job and was offered another even though I was not looking for any jobs at all. It is also an excellent way to make friends

Maybe you would like youth work, they often have programes where they want men who have been to prison to help out young people who are on their way down the same route.

You have to be proactive.
    It is easy to think of all the negative stopping you doing something but these will only drag you down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1/3 home owner family estate. Can I borrow with home as colatural? [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers and I each own 1/3 of estate property that we want to sale in the near future. Is it possible I could get a loan based on my 1/3 of the estate? With consent of brothers, and how would they be effected?

At home data entry jobs or home based business [ 0 Answers ]

Come April 8,2007 I will be laid off from my job and wanted to know if any of these free data entry jobs are legitimate or home bases business are worth doing. If so, where can I find them? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

View more questions Search