Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeblue Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 07:43 AM
    Furnace noise
    I have a Lennox gas furnace that has started making a noise through the ducting that sounds like rain drops hitting the roof during a good rain. What could this be?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 02:15 PM

If I had to guess, I would say it is the ductwork expanding as the warm air passes through it. Or the ductwork moving relative to some part of your house, like a floor joist. If you can find where the noise is coming from in this instance, you can wedge something between the duct and the joist to stop the noise.

Good luck finding the noise,
    WallyH
    Mikie D Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 02:49 PM

Do you have a high efficiency furnace with pvc exhaust and fresh air make up , if you do the exaust is not pitched back enough to the furnace and then to the trap and drain, that will create water running or droplet noise. Mikie D
    joeblue Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 03:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie D View Post
    Do you have a high efficiency furnace with pvc exhaust and fresh air make up , if you do the exaust is not pitched back enough to the furnace and then to the trap and drain, that will create water running or droplet noise. Mikie D
    The house is 5 years old so I assume it's high efficiency. The exhaust is typical duct material not pvc . This noise just started I never heard it before.
    Mikie D Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 05:18 PM

If it doesent have pvc piping for fresh air and exhaust its not high efficiency but what you could try is look for a ductwork joint and pull out the slips and drive and disconnect supply ductwork and spread it apart and if it stops have a cavas connector installed also your saying you have a chimney or triple wall exaust to the outside or in a chase let me know I'm interested. Mikie D
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:22 PM

When you say ducting, do you mean exhaust venting, or furnace ductwork? Where and when is the noise heard.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 07:39 PM

Check to see if your system is iceing up, could be driping through the furnace, look for ice or frost on the refrigerant lines when it is running. Good luck, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lennox value series furnace-- about five seconds before the blower kicks in there is a loud humming noise that slowly disappears

Recently we had our 8 year old furnace cleaned, the general type 'tune-up'. Since then, while the blower motor is operating, there's a high-pitched whine. Any advice? My family thinks I'm worrying unnecessarily.

HVAC furnace noise [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fairly new house 2years old , the intake -exhaust from the furnace runs through the attic , through a 3" pvc concentric , everything works fine , however there is a "tapping"noice that comes from the concetric as the pipe heats up , its fairly loud because it echoes in the exhaust pipe ,...

We cleaned the dust of the blades and stuff and now it is making a knocking noise every time it runs

Noise from new furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had a new Lenox furnace installed in my new home. It now makes a steady eletrical humming sound whether it is on or off at the thermostat. My installer does not seem to be concerned but it does not seem right to me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

View more questions Search