Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pianoranger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 07:37 AM
    Commercial Lease has us Rent Poor in this economy. What is at stake?
    I have a Day Spa in California. Since November 2008, I have been only able to pay partial rent each month due to the decline in our sales and our Business Line of Credit being suspended. Since the fall of 2008, we have been diligent every couple of weeks, asking the landlord and property manager to sit down and discuss some options that could benefit both of us rather than exercise a LOSE-LOSE scenario. The landlord has remained silent and just two weeks ago sent a proposal that would effectively increase our rent $1400.00 per month to cover the arrears! I don't understand the LL's position.

We have personally guaranteed the lease with 6 years left on a ten year term. We own our home which is upside down at the moment. We own a vacation home and an out of state rental both with very little equity. Most of the equity in these homes would be decimated by selling them.

I have retained an attorney to look over our lease and he has written a letter to the LL as well without any response. It is very hard to move forward and get excited about maintaining or even growing this business while the idea of an Unlawful Detainer looms in the wings. The landlord has not sent us a "Pay or Quit" notice in 5 months and continues to cash our partial rent checks.
    pianoranger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Additionally, this is an intent vs. ability issue for us. It has always been our intent to pay our commitments to vendors, staff, landlord, etc. We just do not have the ability to do so with the market trend spiraling downward. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    cindy3r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 04:47 PM
    I am in a commercial building that has just been sold. Today I was asked to move into another location in the building. In adddition I asked about the grace period for paying rent as business is really slow in the winters here. California, his response was its due on the 3rd and if you don't have it then your out. Really no grace period or even a late charge for paying late if you have too. Is this legal. I have been here 5 years.With no written agreement even from my old landlord. I always pay just late sometimes
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
    It appears that pianoranger, who started this thread some 2 1/2 years ago never got a response. Possibly this would be because he or she failed to ask a question. Cindy, at lease you did ask a question.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy3r View Post
    ... Is this legal.[?] ...
    Yes. Unless a grace period is specified in the lease, there isn't one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting my Commercial Cleaning Business Now. In this economy? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi guys, I've read through many of the responses to questions regarding Commercial Cleaning Businesses and I now have decided to start one myself. First off, here's my situation: My mother owned an office cleaning business when I was younger in Michigan - we mainly cleaned Real Estate...

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Injured on property where I rent, my rent is now behind and my lease is expired. [ 9 Answers ]

This is a slightly complicated situation. I live in the state of MO. About 5 months ago I was injured on the property due to the negligence of my landlord and the conditions of the building I live in. The landlord dug a hole in the front yard deeper than I am tall and the steps in the back have no...

Commercial building for rent [ 1 Answers ]

How would I rent an commercial building besides a rent sign or realtor? 5000 square feet

Commercial lease - being sued for old rent [ 9 Answers ]

I will try to keep this very short. My wife's Michigan business recently closed and moved out of the facility - with proper notice to LL. She was off-lease - it had expired months before so it was a month-to-month arrangement. BTW, the business is incorporated. Several months after closing we...

View more questions Search