Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fairywing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Terminate parental rights
    My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has permanent custody. I was going to put him in a home for delinquent teens, but instead the judge granted him custody. I hear he is running with gangs and still getting into trouble. My question is, should I terminate parental rights to protect myself if he gets into real legal trouble? If so how do I do that? Also, will that stop me from having to pay child support, which is why I suspect my brother in law really wanted custody.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Hello fairy:

Nahhh. If your ex bro-in-law has "legal" custody, then he's the responsible party - not you. And, there is nothing - NOTHING - that you can do that will END child support, which is why I suspect you asked.

So, you wanted to put him in the slam, huh? Shame on you! You think being a father is unzipping your pants.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Because your ex-brother-in-law has permanent custody, he also has legal responsibility for your son should he get into trouble with the law. However you are responsible for paying child support to him until the court orders otherwise. This is not likely to happen until your son is emancipated. Should your son become incarcerated while still a minor you can petition the court to suspend payments to your ex brother-in-law until your son is released and returned to your ex brother-in-law. In any circumstance, once your son turns 18, immediately petition the court for an order to terminate child support.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Your brother in law is the legal guardian of you son and all legal responsibilities are his... your son can ask to be emancipated at 16 years of age... if you caught your son associating with known criminals at his age... call the legal authorities... your son is at risk.. if what you say is true... also check with the United States Department of Justice on issues concerning children at risk and the problems that are available for them... programs that can handle severely aggressive and difficult adolescents to handle... I believe the government has a association with ART ( Aggression Replacement Training)
    cindytx61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
    How To Terminate Parental Right

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Terminating parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of help regarding terminating parental rights. I have just been granted a temp protective order (texas) and have court for my final that will last two years. I have been abused for over 10 years by my husband. We have only been married 4. My daughter is 5 going on 6. She goes to...

View more questions Search