Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITResource Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Connecting Windows and Mac together
    I have 4 computers running Windows XP and 1 computer running a Mac. Is it possible to hook up all computers together running a network?

I have a lot of experienced in Windows but not in Mac.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 04:48 AM

I've not done it, but I've seen Macs and PCs on the same network. It doesn't appear to be a big deal -- just plug them into the network.
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 14, 2009, 12:35 PM

Yes if your talking about baisic file sharing, macs, pcs, linux/unix systems all have the ability to use the same networking protocols. To get it to work though you may have to install additional network drivers on them(such as appletalk depending on the age of the system) but TCp/IP should suffice for all. Now as to where you go to check that on a mac your guess is as good as mine as I avoid them like the plague. But as a basic rule as long as the systems are using the same networking protocols they can be networked together. Certain programs still won't work however unless they state so(like most remote control programs would not function going windows to mac/linux)

As far if you need exact steps I couldn't help you, its something I would have to be their to do in order to find all the correct areas to make changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insert Windows 98 in domain under windows 2000 server [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I would need information how can I insert a PC running on it Windows 98 in a domain? On my server is running windows 2000. Thank You in advance.

Connecting to a PC in the same network through Windows Explorer by typing the \. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Lads & Gents, :) thank you in advance for your time here... I would like to connect to another PC in my home network. I know that I can type in Windows Explorer bar \\the-pc-ip-or-name\c$ It works, but I have came across a problem that is when the login window pops up, I cannot change...

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

Connecting remotely to windows vista [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I can connect remotely to my brothers laptop which runs vista using a program called 'instant house call'. I can see his desktop and move his mouse pointer , start applications etc but whenever I try to do anything like defrag his hard drive or try to install a program the connection is...

View more questions Search