Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Mar 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Birth control and antibiotics
    What is the percentage of getting pregnant if on the pill and taking amoxicillin and no other protection??
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Antibiotics make the pill ineffective, so your chances of getting pregnant are the same as if you were not using birth control. If you are taking antibiotics, use a condom.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 05:18 AM

It depends on what information source you look at. Newer research suggests most antibiotics will not have an effect on the benefits of the pill as was once thought.

Some feel they may decrease the effectiveness and it would be wise to use back up birth control while on the antibiotic to be on the safe side.

There have been no studies to really give a definitive answer as to the percentage that might become pregnant while using both.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Mar 14, 2009, 11:48 AM

Trust me... You should really use back up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control [ 5 Answers ]

I have been on birth control for a really long time and on the same kind for at least a year now but recently it has been making me really sick, I have always taken it at 9:00pm and now after I take it makes me really nauseas and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm not sure why and I'm in the...

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to start using the birth control patch again after my pregnancy, I'm not breastfeeding. I got a sample pack to get started and a prescription from my OB/GYN so I figured I was all set. Then someone told me I couldn't start using the patch unti I had my first actual period after I had my...

What Birth Control is Right For Me? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got on birth control this month for the first time. My gyno told me to wait till the Sunday after/during my period to take it. I did as told, and all went well. About a week after taking it I started getting a light brown discharge... then it got darker and thicker... then turned to my...

Birth Control [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here it goes I had to stop taking my birth control about 2 months ago because I make too much money so my medicaid was taken away so anyway I don't know if I am stressed or just paranoid or what but I came on my cycle twice in November and the last time I had my cycle was Dec 5 and I haven't had...

View more questions Search