Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexifish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 04:33 PM
    My goldfish keep dying
    A week ago I bought 3 goldfish, 2 gold and one black. 2 days later one gold one died, I replaced it and then the next night the black one died, so agan I replaced it and the third one died. Today I was left with 2 one gold and one black and I have just lost the gold one. I do not understand why this keeps happening as the water has been oxygenated and purified, there is an oxygen plant and stones in the bowl. I have ownedfish in the past that have lived for over 15 years and have never had this problem before. The initial 3 fish were bought from the same pet shop and those have all died. The 4th one I bought died today and I have One black one left who seems to be doing OK, but worried we lose him too. Please help with some advise as to what I can do.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 08:30 PM

Your removing chlorine with the tablets or leaving the water out after it's drawn from the tap for 24 hours.

How about adjusting the ph to 7.0.

How about aclimating the goldfish to the new water. Lots of methods, some better than others. Can be as simple as placing the goldfish in their bag and let it sit in the water for an hour or so, to dilutions of the water the fish were brought home in.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:21 PM

Is this a bowl or aquarium?
    rodjanefreddy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 01:01 PM

Never buy goldfish in bulk, buy them one at a time and leave at least 1 week before buying another. The ammonia and co2 they release into the water can overpower the good bacteria in your filter system and the fish literally poison themselves to death. (Don't forget that a goldfish needs at least 10 gallons of water per fish to be healthy)
    Here's a fantastic website to help you The Goldfish and Aquarium Board (GAB)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

This is actually about my goldfish. [ 7 Answers ]

My goldfish has been very sick for about a week now. At first me and my girlfriend thought she had swim blatter. By feeding her peas (which I was told worked when they had swim blatter) helped her and she seemed fine for about a day and a half. That night we noticed her tail finn was not fully...

Dying goldfish [ 9 Answers ]

I have had my goldfish for about 6 years but for the past month he has not been able to get off the bottom of the tank he isn't eating anything and is just starving to death. Does anybody no of a painless way of killing my goldfish as I have read about various methods and don't like the sound of...

All my goldfish are dying, and nothing I do is helping! [ 3 Answers ]

I tried to keep this short and sweet, but it didn't really work. We had a goldfish about a year, along with some sort of algae-eater. Everything was fine until we purchased three more goldies (the black/orange ones). After about a week, we noticed them laying around more, then the problems...

My goldfish [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

View more questions Search