Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaLUV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Chihuahuas and cats
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if Chihuahuas get allong well with cats?
    Please answer I need to know before summer.
    Thank you! :)
    Texie Studstill Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2009, 02:25 PM

I have a twlve year old chihuahua and we have always had cats. If you are getting it as a puppy you should be fine and if you are getting it as an adult take a blanket with the cast scent on it to him.he should have no problems.
    swaimer84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 10:04 AM
    I have a 1yr old Chihuaha, there are two cats that my neighbor owns. They don't get along at all.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 01:07 AM

Most dogs will be able to get along with pets that they've grown up with and trained to respect.
    Glylilyoung Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 07:05 PM

Um, it all depends on the cat.
    If you get the chuwawa as a puppy.
    Mostlikely the puppy will want to be friends.
    BUT
    The cat is what you have to wonder about.
    The cat could be a very people person but still would dislike dogs.
    I would know, I adopted my cat just two weeks ago.
    So far their doing good. You just have to beable to understand the difference from your pet telling the new pet the limits. And an acutal fight.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 21, 2009, 08:23 PM

This all depends on how you introduce them. It isn't clear if you are bringing home the chihuahua to the cats, or visa versa. Either way, it is up to you to get your pet ready for the arrival of the new family member.

You need to be a packleader, so both the dogs and cats know who's the authority figure. If you don't do that, you could maybe have problems.

Introduce the new pet slowly, and let them both have there space and let them sniff and get to know each other slowly, in their own time.

Above all, DON'T be apprehensive or nervous when you bring home the new pet. Your pets sense your energy, and will react to how you are feeling. Bring the new pet in like you are bringing in groceries. Don't make a big deal in front of your other pet. If you are too excited, they will draw that energy, and jealousy can become a factor. Just stay calm, but assertive, and all should go well.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 04:47 AM
    Might be a l long shot but do you know anyone with a dog that gets along with cats? It might be a good idea to bring the dog around to your house and see how the cat reacts, if it runs away or is curious about the dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

Potty training chihuahuas [ 1 Answers ]

How do I potty train a chihuahua?

About chihuahuas? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a chihuahua and I just got her in October and I really don't have any idea how old she is but I am having problems with her. She will not come around me or my boyfriend when he is here which is most of the time. And she sometimes if afrid of my daughter who is three and other people. What...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search