Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gfwarf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
    How to (or do I need to) adopt my 13 year old son?
    Hi,

I have a son who is 13 years old. His mother died of lupus about 3 years ago and I have had him every since.

His mother and I was nev er married and I was never put on the birth certificate.

Do I have to adopt him?

If so, How do you adopt your own son?

Thank You,

Greg Warf
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 02:29 PM

You could establish legal paternity by requesting DNA test through the court for proof that he is your child.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 05:07 AM

You don't have to adopt him if he is your son. You would go to court to have the birth certificate modified. Since, presumably, you have acted as his father his whole life, it would likely be a rubber stamp. Many locations would automatically declare you the legal father because there has been no one to contest it and you have held yourself out to the world as his father.

I would find a local family law lawyer and have him check out the process of getting a birth certificate modified. It should be simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 year old girl wants to be adopt [ 10 Answers ]

Hii im 16 year old who wants to be adopted and is looking for a family that would take care a girl like me. My reasons are parents argue a lot,abuse,no support,depressed,issues with school. This all started when my family started to fall apart. Since i was a kid my parents often fights and argue...

New husband wants to adopt my 5 year old son. [ 3 Answers ]

I got divorced last year. During the divorce, my ex husband signed over ALL rights to our now 5 year old son, to me. He pays no support and does not see her. I have full custady. Since then, I have gotten remarried and my new husband and I want to look into having him adopt my son. Is thid...

My husband wants to adopt my 6 year old [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants to adpot my daughter who is nearly 6 and hasn't seen her father since she was 2 he didn't want contact with her after that her father and I were never married or togetor when she was born how would we go about doing this

My Husband wants to adopt my 8 year old [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband wants to adopt my eight year old. Her biological father has never seen her or paid child support. She nows my husband as daddy since she was 8 months old and I have tried to contact him to give up rights so that we can do the adoption and change her last name but every time I call his...

My husband wants to adopt my 3 year old son [ 1 Answers ]

My son's biological father was physically and mentally abusive to me and my son I left him and filed an order of protection against him I haven't seen or made contact with him since, now it has been almost three years and I recently married my husband and he wants to adopt my son is there any way...

View more questions Search