Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Repairing Sunken Piers Under House
    Problem:
    Two piers, located side-by-side on two separate floor joists have sunk, resulting in their detachment from their floor joists. The floor joists are still supported by the remaining piers, but the detachment has caused some sloping in the floor. I am not necessarily looking to straighten the floors, but my main goal is to make sure that the floor is structurally supported as originally designed. By the way, it appears that the floor joists sunk due to water getting under the house and pooling at one spot.

My Question:
    How is something like this fixed? A concrete contractor bid the job as 1) removing old piers and 2) installing the new ones with RV jacks installed in concrete. The concrete footing would be 1 foot deep. It seemed like that would work, but I'm afraid a building inspector would look at the jack stands and say "unacceptable".

Thanks, in advance, for the valuable advice.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 05:16 PM

How tall and wide are these piers?
    The R.V. jacks are a no no. If any jacks are put there is mist be rated house posts Adjustable or not. The moisture is a problem with steel being exposed to the elements. I would be curious of what footer system is under thoses that sunk.

Where I come from a contractor would never suggest R.V. jacks.

How much house is above the piers?

It may be possible to side pin the piers with a wider footer to carry the load. A bigger foot print so to speak. If what's there now sunk how much bigger will the new footers be in width? What's your Geo for temperature changes in difference's?

There is a bit more going on here than a footer sinking if the pier Detached from the joist. They keep sinking on there own weight. Its not like the house weight kept pressure on them and the ground was soft. What the water runoff and drainage there by the piers. That's what needs explored here before the "Fix" Or the problem may arise again.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage Slab Foundation Piers and Framing [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings I'll try to make this simple. I have a 60 year old single car garage that I hope to get a variance for to build a 2 car garage. It's on a slight grade so will need piers and a solid slab. I'm hoping to minimize costs by doing everything except the piers, slab and framing. Are there...

Sunken tub [ 2 Answers ]

I'm ready to build a sunken tub like I had as a kid in my country,, now 4inch slab entire bathroom has floor removed 8feet by six feet, will place 2by 6 by 60inch as a temp boarding for the pour.. top of board flush w/floor surface so floor of tub will be 5 and half deep... sides will be under...

Concrete house piers and footings [ 2 Answers ]

Can concrete piers and footings be safely poured in wet saturated clay ground.Rain has occurred over last 2 weeks and is forecast on and off for next month.

Replace Sunken Tub with New Tub & Surround [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 34 year-old tiled concrete sunken roman tub that's too ratty to even think about soaking in. Besides that, the stopper's gone and the whole thing needs to be updated. It's currently being used as a step-down shower. Some dimensions: Length 57", Width 27 1/4", Depth 11"(only 6" after I...

View more questions Search