Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brit01 Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Mar 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Customers asking personal questions
    I work in customer service and sometimes I get customer asking personal questions. I never know what to do : answer or nicely change the subject. I am there to help them and I get to ask them questions to find the best way to help... what am I supposed to do when I get personal questions from customers? I do not want to share personal info
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 07:21 PM

One casual yet polite way to respond is to politely pause, then smile with the question, "Why do you want to know?" (said sweetly). This will often make the person think about what they are asking.

I'm not sure what area of customer service you're in but sometimes people ask personal questions because they want to know if you have advice on what they should purchase.

You can always politely ignore it and just pretend like you didn't hear it. Most people won't ask personal questions more than once but if they do, just say, "I don't like talking about myself but I'd love to hear about you!"
    Brit01 Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Mar 12, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    One casual yet polite way to respond is to politely pause, then smile with the question, "Why do you want to know?" (said sweetly). This will often make the person think about what they are asking.

I'm not sure what area of customer service you're in but sometimes people ask personal questions because they want to know if you have advice on what they should purchase.

You can always politely ignore it and just pretend like you didn't hear it. Most people won't ask personal questions more than once but if they do, just say, "I don't like talking about myself but I'd love to hear about you!"
    In fact, they ask quite straight-forward questions such as 'where are you from? ' 'where did you get your sweater top from?'... really unrelated to what they need . Questions that you give the answer or you change the subject. How to avoid answering? What to do? As I said, I want the focus to be on them only, not on me. Thanks
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 03:51 AM
    I wouldn't consider those 'personal' questions, just general chatter.
    When I worked on front end at a supermarket I asked customers questions like that, especially older customers who were usually flattered that I liked their sweater.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 11:57 AM

General conversation... is customer service, you make the customer feel wanted, comfortable.. want to come back again... very, very important when dealing with members of the public.

However if personal questions are asked... do you have a boyfriend?

Where do you go out at night ?

How old are you?

And so on... you simply say... I am not allowed to say, it's company policy, you wouldn't want me to lose my job now would you... and carry on with the original sale
    sunflower412 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2009, 12:00 PM

I am too nice sometimes too, but there are a lot of weirdo out there. Just be careful. Make sure someone walks out with you when you leave. I was too nice to someone once and I guess they took it the wrong way and thought I was interested in them and they wouldn't leave me alone.
    Maxie0093 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Recently attended new employee training, given by a Regional Corporate Trainer. For sales, I was instructed to ask "Why" a potential customer couldn't sign a gym membership, "If your husband says it's fine" would you be willing to sign? What type of medication are you currently taking and how much and if it's working for you? Customer lost job, wants to cancel membership, perhaps there's a retirement or 401K you could tap into? I realize that this is just a training, but seriously, who in their right mind is going to ask these? 's
    YourMaryKayLady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
    I worked customer service both phone and person.
    On the phone I would answer vaguely.. this is a real conversation I actually had on the phone.
    Q. what are you wearing
    A, clothes... how may I help you sir?
    Q. mmmm what kind of clothes?
    A. you know the material kind you buy in stores. How can I help you sir?
    Q.mmm what kind of store?
    A. thrift mostly how can I help you sir?
    Q. specifically what kind of garments are you wearing?
    A. sir I am wearing clothes.. how can I help you with your internet service?

Needless to say he hung up... there are ways to answer those questions without answering them.

In person...
    I worked at bloomingdales... and had won a queen of sales ring from mary kay. It was over 2 carrots of diamonds.. they were real and sparkled nicely under the retail lights.

I had a customer tell me my ring was "Fun" I said thank you... she said oh.. I see you have "summer Diamonds" on... I smiled and said I'm not sure I knew the term summer diamonds.
    She stated "oh you know.. some are .. some aren't get it summer diamonds"
    I smiled and asked if there was any thing I could help her with.
    She again asked me where I got my ring.
    I smiled and said.. oh I can't remember... how can I help you..

It was none of this woman's business where or how I got my ring... she had already insulted me, and was not someone I wanted as a customer for my other business.. it was against policy for me to talk about mary kay on bloomingdales floor... and simply it was none of her business...

Sometimes you just have to smile and nod and be very vague.

That's my opinion... hope it helps... Ker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Questions to ask a Personal Injury Lawyer [ 4 Answers ]

My brother-in-law was burnt over 2/3 of his body due to an industrial accident. He has been in the hospital over 2 1/2 months and is now home recovering. They are in the process of interviewing personal injury lawyers. What type of questions should they ask that will help them evaluate the...

Personal Tax Questions [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have some questions about my F1-OPT tax. I know that from the IRS website, I am exempt from Social Security and Medicare tax with the less than 5 years rule. But I know I am subject to Federal and State Taxes. My questions are the followings: 1. How much Federal Income Tax...

Questions on personal loan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am working here in US on H-1 Visa since 2005. I have got very good credit history here. I would like to buy property in India and hence I am looking for a personal loan in US. The money I would get as personal loan would go for existing properties maintenance as well. I have got...

Types of customers [ 2 Answers ]

HI All, Thx a lot for answering the question. It helped a lot. Appreciate it. I have another question though! :) How may types of customers do you come across in the customer service industry?

Personal questions.. about girls.. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey. I got my first girlfriend like, 2 weeks ago.. she has been with guys before and has made out with them.. and she has been fingered.. I am really nervous about these things. I have never.. EVER had any help with either of these things. I mean never even talked in detail about it.. its...

View more questions Search