Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wj_vanitha Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Can Auto Loan to be itemized? What kind of job related expenses can be itemized
    Hi,

I would like to know if I can Itemize the Auto loan payments I made last yr? I read some where that I can't Itemize the Auto loan Interest, if this is the case can I itemize the Principle alone? Can we itemize the auto insurance?

Secondly I am on H1 and consulting, I moved from NJ to MA to WA to CT all within 4 and 3 months and 2 months respectively. Can I itemize the expenses involved in this move such as flight fare, housing, car move (MA to WA to CT), car rental, food, ETC?

Please let me know
    Thanks
    Vanitha
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2009, 06:19 PM

The only way you can itemize car payments is if the car is used exclusively for business purposes. Then you would include it as a business expense on a schedule C

Same thing goes for the move. Since they were expenses incurred by your consulting business, they can be used to offset your consulting income.
    wj_vanitha Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Thanks Scott, So as per you if the car is used for business purpose I can itemize the car payments. Should there be any formalities to prove that car is used for business travel alone? Please note that I am on H1 visa and I consult for my company and the car is in my name.

Regards,
    Vanitha
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2009, 06:44 PM

Again, You can only claim the expense against business income. You may have to keep an exact log of mileage to show that the usage was only for business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itemized deductions for H1B [ 2 Answers ]

Working on H1B at employer location in California for the last 3 years. Can the following expenses be included in the itemized deductions for 1040? - Unreimbursed airticket expenses to India for home visit Oct 22 2008 - Nov 19 2008? - Cell Phone bills - Medical insurance premiums + medical...

Itemized Deductions [ 1 Answers ]

I followed few threads here on Parents visiting from India and whether they were eligible for applying ITIN as dependents. The ATLANTA user has provided excellent explanations regarding the same and based on that probably I want to re-iterate/re-confirm few things: 1. If the parents (who are...

Itemized [ 1 Answers ]

If me and my husband filed separetly can both of us itenized our returns?

Regarding Itemized deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Myself and my husband both are working. I am working in L1 Visa and my husband is working in L2 Visa. His contract was initially for 1 year from Jan 2007 - Jan 2008. Currently, his contract has been extended and he is working from home nowonwards. He is paid in hourly basis and not salaried...

H1B Legal Fees as Job related Expense in Itemized Deduction ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently paid for my H1B Visa and Legal Fees. (approx $3500). My question is can I claim that amount in my itemized deductions on my Tax Retun. I am an Indian National.

View more questions Search