Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lasvegassarah29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Applying for teaching license, civil citation?
    I received a civil citation in the State of Maryland back in 1998. I was 18 years old, and at a party that got busted. I received a citation for "Under 21 possession of alcohol" -

I am now 29 years old and live in Las Vegas, NV. I am applying for my teaching license (Middle School). One of the questions on the form says "Have you ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation"?
    When I did a background check on myself online, this citation didn't come up - but it did come up on the Maryland District court site.
    I also know that the school district does an FBI Background check.

My question-
    Should I put yes?
    (Please note, the case was dismissed and I didn't have to pay a fine. I was away at college, and my Dad went to court for me. I believe the officer didn't show up, but I'm not sure.. my Dad was an attorney, but he passed away back in 2004 so I can't ask him :-(.. )

Thanks!
    Sarah
    rivasmj78 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 05:59 PM

Well I would think that you might be able to put no,since you where not convicted,did they drop the charges or just defer prosecution?That would also matter.It may have showed on the Maryland District court one because law enforcement shows what you where arrested/citation for but not the result of the court case from it.

Mar 12, 2009, 06:08 PM
    The case was dropped because the officer that cited me never showed up for court. I wasn't even arrested or fingerprinted, just given the citation.
    Thanks for your help.
    Sarah

Mar 12, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Well, I'm pretty sure (as I said in my first post) he didn't show up. I have been trying hard to remember but I'm 90% sure that is what happened.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 06:17 PM

This will not stop you from getting a certificate but it is the possible employer who will do a background check. Tickets do not show but an actual arrest will show up even without a conviction. I'd say no to the question if you are sure you quoted the question correctly. I was an HR director in a school district and we saw arrests all the time, I still hire most.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bluebook Citation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the parallel citation for Jones v. Mel's Bar, Inc. 44 Colo. 33, 12 P.2d 14? Thank you.

Applying H4 visa after applying H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, My fiance's employer is planning to apply her H1B visa on 1st Apr 2009. We are planning for a marriage date in 1st week of May 2009. I will be applying her H4 visa in May 2009. I just want to know if there can be any issues/problems while applying her H4 visa when she would have already...

Under age consumtion citation [ 3 Answers ]

My child 18 years old got a citation for under age poss of alcohol first time this has happen, do I need a lawyer. She got this citation in Georgia, what is going to happen at court date.she blew a .064

Very grey area--applying for prof'l license [ 9 Answers ]

Hello and good evening. I have a professional license to do what I do. I have had it since 1990. In 1996 I was charged with a class B misdemeanor in NY but pled guilty to a 'violation", a non-criminal offense. I paid a $50 fine, received a conditional discharge and in a year my criminal...

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search