Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvdish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Smoke detector go crazy.
    Does anyone know if the smoke detector goes off if the tempurature in the house get really cold? My smoke detector goes off in the middle of the night when the tempurature in the house drop down below 60 degree. I have about 8 detectors around the house, so I unplug four and the rest stop. So I figure there must be a defect in the four unit to goes off. So how do I check which one is the defective one?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 12:14 PM

Possibly just dust? If you unplugged 4, it was 1 of those 4, Smoke Detectors have a 3rd wire(interconnect) so when 1 goes off they all go off. Some will show a red light on the offending unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard Wired Smoke detector [ 7 Answers ]

My house has four smoke detectors, all of them hard-wired with back up batteries. I needed to replace one and the replacement seemed very easy. I had turned off the AC power, installed the new smoke detector, but when I turned the power off, all four detectors went off and wouldn't shut off at...

Electrical Smoke detector [ 6 Answers ]

How do I remove a hard-wired smoke detector. Please. UnelectrocutedsofarMike

Wanted a good smoke and co detector [ 1 Answers ]

I would like a good smoke and carbon monoxide detector. My problem is that I want to replace the smoke detector that I have which are hard wired or rather plug in. I have no problem finding the battery powered versions but can't find any to plug in. Any suggestions? Also is the plug in version...

Smoke Detector Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

When I put up my garage addition, the city inspector said that I had to put a smoke detector in each bedroom, in addition to the two I already had in the hallways. This I gladly did. My question is, how come the city code does not require smoke detectors in the garage(s). Vehicles can and do self...

The physics behind a smoke detector? [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing a physics "how things work" project on a smoke detector, and I need to get in contact with an "expert" on them, who knows how they work, and the physics behind them. If someone could help me out.

View more questions Search