Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thibbs627 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Human vs pig and chimpanzee DNA
    Compare the DNA similarity between humans and pigs versus humans and chimpanzees.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 12:06 PM

This looks like a homework question to me so I will not help you unless you try and do a bit by yourself.

Here is a clue to help you with your research

The latin names for humans, chimps and pigs are Homo sapiens, Pan troglodytes and Sus scrofa respectively.
    jimwoodward1937 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
    I'm 72 years old and I would like a scientific answer to the above question, please
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Feb 2, 2010, 09:38 PM
    Dear Jim,
    A draft version of the pig (Sus scrofa) genome has recently been completed. See NCBI Pig Genome Resources
    I haven’t seen any overall % identity number, but one can say “The pig genome is of similar size (3 x 10^9 bp), complexity and chromosomal organization … as the human genome.” This is from http://www.genome.gov/Pages/Research...eSEQ021203.pdf

The human – chimp comparison is well known. If you compare the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), the genomes are a little less than 99% identical. This identity between two unrelated humans is about 99.9%. Neither of these comparisons include the loss & gains of DNA termed “indels”. These differences are also called copy number differences & there isn’t an easy number of expressing this difference. An example of a copy number difference between humans is the gene responsible for color blindness. One way of making this comparison is to identify regions which are highly similar from the genetic maps. These regions are called “syntenic segments”. The expectation is that the size of the regions will decrease the further apart (time since the last common ancestor) the species are.

So how similar are our genes to a pig or a chimp? For this question I choose 1 gene. I compared albumen gene. The human (GenBank: NM_000477) to the chimp (GenBank: XM_517233) and to the pig (GenBank: NM_001005208) albumin mRNA sequences. I compared the sequences pairwise with program called BLAST (Basic Local Alignement Search tool) at the NCBI (BLAST: Basic Local Alignment Search Tool)

The Human vs Pig albumen genes are 83% identical (Identities = 1739/2091, Gaps = 80/2091 (3%)).
    The Human vs Chimp albumen genes are 99% identical (Identities = 2119/2136, Gaps = 0/2136 (0%)).
    The Chimp vs Pig albumen genes are 82% identical (Identities = 1668/2017, Gaps = 84/2017 (4%)).

You can make a nice argument for evolution with your question. If the pig, chimp & human albumin genes were the products of a separate creation there would be no reason to believe that the ~350 nucleotide differences between the human and the pig would the same as the ~350 differences between the chimp and the pig. I haven’t done this multiple sequence alignment. It might never have been done. BUT, it is easily done & I would predict, based on the evolutionary relationships, that >90% of the differences with the pig will be shared between the human & chimp sequences.
    mbro88 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 12:42 AM
    Actually I can not add to these suspicions seeing as how I had the same question this morning as Jim above and was please, if not surprised to see the question posed and also answered this morning, with a suspicion over evolution which had motivated my search.
    I will follow this thread however and add to it if I come up with anything more!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jem02081 View Post
    The human – chimp comparison
    You can make a nice argument for evolution with your question. If the pig, chimp & human albumin genes were the products of a separate creation there would be no reason to believe that the ~350 nucleotide differences between the human and the pig would the same as the ~350 differences between the chimp and the pig. I haven’t done this multiple sequence alignment. It might never have been done. BUT, it is easily done & I would predict, based on the evolutionary relationships, that >90% of the differences with the pig will be shared between the human & chimp sequences.
    Hi Jem,
    Can you recommend an authoritative and accessible primer for someone who wants to understand how these comparisons are made in more detail?

That is, me. I have a general background, but I have not read up on this for several years and would like to get a better handle on the different ways that cladistic trees are constructed from molecular data.
    Alanood Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2011, 02:29 AM
    Hi Jem

Under your reasoning could it be argued that instead of man evolving from pig and chimp, can it be argued that pig and chimp may have evolved from man?
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Oct 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
    No, we didn't evolve from any animal alive today (chimps or pigs). We share a common ancestor with both. We have a much more recent common ancestor with chimps. The dates derived from DNA and from other scientific fields are in remarkable agreement.
    RedAngel Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
    Is it possible to find out if pigs dna contain human genes, as if a wild pig was taken and fused with human dna? In this case human dna wouldn't contain pig dna. I heard of a theory and would like to know how valid it is. According to this theory, humans were created in a similair way using primate and alien dna.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Nov 1, 2011, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RedAngel View Post
    Is it possible to find out if pigs dna contain human genes, as if a wild pig was taken and fused with human dna? In this case human dna wouldn't contain pig dna. I heard of a theory and would like to know how valid it is. According to this theory, humans were created in a similair way using primate and alien dna.
    RedAngel,

Yes it is true but the aliens are actually us.

I am not a biologist so I can't give you the specifics.

It was mooted at one stage that a person requiring a lung transplant would have their DNA injected in to a pig fetus solely for the purpose of overcoming the problem of rejection. Even though pigs are a long way from us in terms of common ancestors the size of their organs appears to be an attractive feature.

I think the other avenue of exploration centred on the possibility of eliminating the gene in pigs that cause humans to reject pig organs. In other words, the greatest problem when it comes humans receiving pig organs is rejection.

Tut
    blackjac Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2011, 12:18 AM
    To tut317

even studying bio.eng.ing for a little bit has yielded to me that protein injection and DNA modification is the vary definition of gen.eng. The resone why they use pigs is that they have the same blood type as us in the fact they can carry O-, which you should be fimilier with.

So when we transfer the sequence in to the embryo, all its really doing is allowing the creature to manufacture cells that carry that alliel(gene)to produce the protein that makes the cell do what it does. Such as become a lung or a hart cell.

This process can be done to any animal except for humens thus for. In fact that how we get insoline, we egeneered goats or cows idr which one but they produce the protein in there milk for extractions.

So really its because of there blood type
    NoNoNoNo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
    What is the difference?
    We have the answer but we will not give it to you

SDNIL.

Jan 12, 2012, 08:22 AM
    @ nonono

The difference between any animal with a common ancestry in what proteins are active. Just one gene that says make a serten protein is ether on or off like a switch. We still have all the genes from when we where reptiles its just those are not turned on.

So the difference between pigs chimps and humans is if there is a new gene make new proteins or if old ones are on or off because nothing you find on lets say a human in new. You can find all of are parts in older species.

Jan 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
    So. I think you are saying that the three animals in question have a amount of gene material in common, similar amounts to have them be close. However, the gene pool is programmed in each to switch on the chain reaction of gene instructed proteins (that is on and off) to manufacture the entire structure as we perceive them to be, pig, human, chimp.
    I assume however, that the chimp and the pig and have missing genes when compared to the human!
    If one was able, by adding that missing gene(s) to produce a switched on protein, to say the pig or the chimp, would one produce something nearer a Human?

Which is the Human new gene over its ancestors?

I am just trying to get a handle on my thoughts!
    Thanks.
    Alanood Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 09:12 AM
    The reason I asked is because in the Quran (koran) states that there are people whom were smited into pigs and other people into apes, so I just find it fascinating that these two animals are the most similar and/or compatible with humans and if this is not coincidence but rather clues. Just like the same Quran gave the earliest embryological development evidence 1400 years before the microscope.

It would be worth researching the possibility that pigs and apes are in fact descendants of human.

Jan 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Well if I was right thinking before that logically is the case, yet there is no evidence to say it is a retrogression. Which leaves deliberate design.
    Yet all this depends on which way one wants the investigation to go, and to what end and fuelled by what motivation!
    If we have always been the dominant intelligence and adept at movement and dexterity to boot, we may well be the authors as well. Who knows?

Jan 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
    We did not come form chimps and schwine any more than they did us we share a common ancestor with chimp because we both came out of the same animal and that animal has common ancestry with the other apes. And pigs come out of a branch that links to lemurs. Lemurs are grandfathered to the primate.

So over time animals grow to match or fill certen needs for the envirment. Something interesting though, in every enviorment/ecosystem/region if there isnot a curten type of animal, anouther one evolves to take its place. For example there is an island that is as divers as africa in animales. How ever, they are descendants of lemurs, shruws slothes apes cats dogs, there all lemurs. That is interesting because that means you can make an argument that says the bipedle humenoid design is going to be the most common "intelagent" structure in zinology

Jan 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
    By the way
    Remember to like someone's post if its useful
    hajiAli2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 7, 2012, 12:18 PM
    Basically, Pigs, Chimps and Bear are those nations of humans who disobeyed God thousands years ago and then they were cursed into animals. Disobedience could be of not listening of the God's messengers and carrying out their evil tricks which eventually ended into turning their presence into animals. Later those animals left human civilizations and settled into jungles (God knows the best).

Feb 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Not quite
    Dear sir, even from a theological pov

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Human VS Pig [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard that the pig is very close to humans genetically but what are the most identifiable differences between the DNA of the two?

The Human Dog [ 1 Answers ]

This site has quite a few interesting articles pertaining to many frequently asked questions, such as Housebreaking issues, dominance issues, separation anxiety, and many other common issues and questions, so I thought I would share. The Human Dog - Treating a Dog like a Human

How could someone do this to a human being? [ 5 Answers ]

Am in a relationship for aa year now.everything has been going well,till I found out that when my boyfriend went to visit nigeria last christmas,heb got a girl pregnant.my whole world crashed.I have exams coming up soon and I want to call it off.am still in shock.I just found out 3days ago.I need...

Human DNA [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the DNA of early man and modern man ?

I am only human [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Ok, I blew it. I contacted my ex after a 3 week period of no contact. I feel like crap and I am beating myself up. I had a lot of support from all of you, and I appreciate it. But, I do make mistakes. She didn't have time for me and said she said she didn't have time to contact...

View more questions Search