Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smgr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 11:09 AM
    I don't think I am heading in the right direction!
    I am a college student majoring in Psychology. I am also doing my pre-med so I could go to med school to be a doctor. The problem is I really don't think I am cut out for this career path I have chosen. I feel like a failure just because I can't really grasp this information I am learning to be a doctor. I am failing in chemistry and it's just not something I am interested in and I am not motivated to learn it. I spend 2 weeks focusing on one thing when the rest of the class is way ahead of me. It's my third year in college and I feel like its too late to look into something else but I know if I don't do it now then it will really be too late. I don't know if this is normal and that everyone feels this way while taking these pre med classes or if it's just me. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:13 AM

If your heart's not in it then your heart's not in it. Just think if you continue down this path and you do finish school. Think of all the time and money you've spent on something that you're not so sure you're interested in. Are there other things that do appeal to you?
    smgr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 09:18 PM

I'm really not sure I keep thinking maybe I should try law do you know how I could find out if I would be interested in that?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 11:13 AM

You know the only way I would be able to determine what I'm really into is to take just a couple classes in those fields at a community college, that way it's not so expensive and if the classes transfer it doesn't hurt. Does that make sense? I actually just got my AA degree at a community college because I started taking graphics classes. I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted to do or not but I ended up finishing all the courses and staying right here in town. I love what I do too. Psychology, though, was another major interest of mine- one of my favorite classes.
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Aug 20, 2009, 12:05 PM

smgr, Two things, or maybe more than 2 things. Number one, don't give up on getting an education. Just re-direct your efforts in the field of study that is meant for you. Number two, find something (an area of study) that you are passionate about. Many people have selected the wrong field of study for some reason or another. It's not unusual. But you've got to stop thinking about whether a field of study is lucrative or not. Separate your thoughts from this area. What is it that you can be passionate about? If you're passionate about a field of study, you will be successful and make enough money in the long run. It might be wise to take some time off and develop a new direction or a new plan. Sounds like the physical science area is not for you, so stay away from that. What about the Education field? Just a thought. Possibly see the career counseling people where you currently attend school. Talk to friends and other professionals that you know. Hope this helps.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jun 30, 2010, 07:42 AM

Do you enjoy the study of Psychology? You can further than and not be a medical doctor. You could become a behavioral, clinical, wildlife, research based, etc. all in the field of psychology with your PhD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a sub-heading! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again I need tips on a sub-heading as quick as possible it was my annual gettaway but I put that as my painting title because it would fit in better with my ideas and now I need a sub-heading for everything I need tips its all to do with the holidays I went on can you give me a good heading??...

Heading for danger [ 5 Answers ]

You know I used to think being light was my ticket to the good life. But little did I know the disaster that awaits me. I envy light skin just like a lot of you dark skin folks because I though light skin was better. So I applied all this bleach and mess to my skin and cause a mess. You know...

Heading toward cheating or not? [ 28 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long of a story, so I will just give the basic details. I am 28 (she is 27) and have been married for almost 2 years. We have a good relationship, as she is the opposite personality of mine for the most part and we rarely fight (and when we do it is over something...

Heading Style [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with why I should not use numbering in headings, for example: Chapter 3 Section 3.1 Screens Shots Section 3.2.1 Graphics For instance someone is questioning to a particular section over the phone or via email they can just refer to the section number. I have been told by an...

Heading for a break up - help please [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and my boyfriend and I have been together for 1 year. Everything was good until 3 months ago. Our arguments became more intense. No yelling or anything like that, just more frequent disagreements. About a month ago my boyfriend told me he wanted to take a temporary break but...

View more questions Search