Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Mar 12, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Whoo hoo, I'm rich now!
    I just got my paycheck, and that stimulus bill sure is kicking in. I got a whole $32 more in my bi-monthly paycheck than I did in the paycheck before.

I hope I don't get crazy and spend it all in one place.

What a crock.

Elliot
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Give it back then you ungrateful SOB.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 10:26 AM

Hay ,send it to me.I could sure use it!

Mar 12, 2009, 10:27 AM

No, problem. It'll be taken back, and then some, in the form of higher taxes. I don't even need to give it back... the IRS will do it for me.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 10:28 AM
    That would be the same no matter who is in the White House.

Mar 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Hay ,send it to me.I could sure use it!
    Don't worry, you'll get your $13 per week too. And all the money that is collected in increased taxes will be used by the government welfare state to make sure you get the help you "need". Be of good cheer... help is on the way.

Mar 12, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    That would be the same no matter who is in the White House.
    I beg to differ. Even most Democrats know that you don't raise taxes during a recession. Only Obama the Marxist and his coterie of useful idiots think that a recession is a good time to raise taxes and create new welfare programs and expand existing ones. This would not be happening "no matter who was in the White House".
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    I got a whole $32 more in my bi-monthly paycheck than I did in the paycheck before.... I hope I don't get crazy and spend it all in one place.
    Hello Elliot:

What you got is a tax cut. If tax cuts don't work, then you Republicans got nothing. You're just figuring this stuff out??

You're right though. The money should have been spent on creating giant solar stations in the desert instead of giving it back to you.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Only Obama the Marxist and his coterie of useful idiots ...
    Ah, I see what type of person you are... carry on ranting.

Mar 12, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Elliot:

What you got is a tax cut. If tax cuts don't work, then you Republicans got nothing. You're just figuring this stuff out???

You're right though. The money should have been spent on creating giant solar stations in the desert instead of giving it back to you.

excon
    No, it wasn't a tax cut. A tax cut is when the marginal rates are lowered. My rates aren't lower than they were. This was a tax "credit", which is not a tax cut. It is a form of wealth redistribution, not an economic stimulus. All it does is take taxes from some people and give it to other people... including people who didn't pay taxes in the first place. It can't be a tax cut if it is being givien to people who didn't pay taxes.

As for what they should have done, they should have lowered the marginal tax rates. They should have taken less taxes in the first place. THAT stimulates the economy. All they are doing here is taking money from moderately wealthy or middle-income people and giving it to poor people. There's not tax cut taking place.

Elliot

Mar 12, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Ah, I see what type of person you are ... carry on ranting.
    What... am I hitting a little close to home?
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
    What... am I hitting a little close to home?
    It's odd how those that call people names always say that.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah Elliot you ungrateful SOB.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:53 AM

ET my wife and I combined almost make $90,000 a year if only poor people are getting this money how did we?

It works out well both my wife and I got bumped up 30 bucks a check that is a 140 bucks a month I didn't have last month I'll take it.

I keep seeing everyone say oh you will just have to pay for it on your taxes well no one is complaining that they had to claim the George W Bush $600 apology check everyone got last year why is that?

Mar 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
    It's odd how those that call people names always say that.

Uh huh...

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Give it back then you ungrateful SOB.
    "Hey, kettle, this is pot. You're black."
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:55 AM

My country is printing money so count yourself lucky!

Mar 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    ET my wife and I combined almost make $90,000 a year if only poor people are getting this money how did we?
    Don't you remember? Obama set $250,000 as the line between rich and poor.

And by the way, I make almost $70K per year myself. After adding my wife's salary, we are well into six-figure range. I don't need that extra $13 per week any more than you do.

That's why this is such a silly, ridiculous, useless piece of legislation.

It works out well both my wife and I got bumped up 30 bucks a check that is a 140 bucks a month i didn't have last month I'll take it.
    And you'll pay taxes on it too. Because it was a "tax credit" and not a tax cut, it is taxable income. Congratulations.

I keep seeing everyone say oh you will just have to pay for it on your taxes well no one is complaining that they had to claim the George W Bush $600 apology check everyone got last year why is that?
    Uh... yes I did. I thought it was a huge mistake. Bush was right when he lowered taxes in 2001 and 2003. He was wrong with his 2008 stimu-less package. And Obama is wrong with his 2009 spend-ulus bill.

And by the way, exactly how much good is that $140 per month going to be when your sales, income, gas, capital gains, and all other taxes you pay go up. How about when the cost of food skyrockets because of massive inflation caused by the government printing money to pay off this massive debt? And how about the losses you are going to take when your home values continue to drop. The $140 per month, while nice to have, isn't going to do squat for your wealth. None of the economic issues that are driving the recession are being addressed by the stimulus package. Unless we get an economic plan that actually addresses the issues that underlay the economic downturn, the downturn will continue, and that $140 per month won't be enough to keep food on the table if things continue to get worse.

Personally, the best thing we could do is lower taxes. Take that $780 billion that is in the stimulus package and lower marginal tax rates at ALL levels. $780 billion dumped into the economy in the form of disposable income to people and businesses is enough to start us on an economic recovery. And you don't have to wait 2 or 3 years for it to happen.

Next, we need to let failing companies fail. Whether it is GM or Bank of America, if they can't reorganize and get out of trouble, then let them fail. When they fail, other entrepreneurs will step in and provide the goods and services that people want, and at a lower cost. So either the companies will recover and become stronger, or other, stronger companies will step into their shoes. Either way, the economy goes on. People who lose their jobs in the short term get their jobs back when demand for goods and services is met by the providers of those goods and services. And the economy gets stronger in the process.

THESE are the actions that are designed to strengthen and grow the economy and get it out of recession. $140 per month ain't going to do squat to fix the economy. Neither will spending money two years from now on make-work jobs programs.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 01:05 PM

I rent so I don't lose any home value, I am a vegetarian and I grow most of my own food (Hydroponics) . I just put a deposit down on the new Honda insight so I will save a ton on gas there. I shop online for almost everything and since most of the businesses I purchase from aren't in my state I don't pay a sales tax.

The 140 a month just goes towards paying more on my wife's car loan we will be done paying it sooner so it is a BIG help pay less interest on the loan save money in the long run.

The capital gains is the only thing I am worried about but not too much.

But I do agree let the companies fail bigger and better and smarter companies will come along.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 01:26 PM

Hydroponics ? Cool! Would love to have the space to give it a try . But I do my annual victory garden so I'll steal some space in the house for seed starting soon
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 01:38 PM

We had an extra room in our spot that we couldn't think of what to do with and there is a Hydro store about 15 minutes away we gave it a shot and it works well expensive but well.

Here is their web site they opened a new store in Secaucus NJ Garden Indoors of Philadelphia Shopping

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

D-Rich - Now Or Never [ 3 Answers ]

D-Rich - Now Or Never anyone have the lyrics??

How he got rich. [ 3 Answers ]

A businessman walked into a New York City bank and asked for the loan officer. He said he was going to Europe on business for two weeks and needed to borrow $5,000. The loan officer said the bank would need some security for such a loan. The business man then handed over the keys to a Rolls...

How does one get rich? [ 6 Answers ]

How much money would someone have to start with to get rich?

Outstanding news! Whoo hoo! (If I may carry on for a moment) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello folks: Well, it looks like Im going to have to change my profile description. I am pleased to announce that today, in the mail, I actually received some good news! Andrew Cocke is now refrigeration certified , type I and type II! I took this test a year ago, and my employer...

View more questions Search