Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee t Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2006, 10:53 PM
    Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower
    I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me that I should clean off the top of the piston(remove carbon deposits) should I?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 04:57 PM
    No need to overhaul the entire engine, and the carb is unadjustable... (epa, thanks >:(

DO YOU have a small engine shop around... they should have a rebuild kit for it, briggs still supports very old engines to new.
    The piston cleaning? Naa, that would cause hard starting.
    lee t Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2006, 07:29 PM
    No adjustments on carb? I didn't see any adjustment screws,I thought they would be hidden or internal or something. So all I can do is to clean the carb,change plug, and air filter? Does a non adjustment carb go bad? And what is deal on the speed limitation shouldn't 200cc's be able to go faster,especially when the blades are disengaged? It is a 6 speed. Any more info on this mower/engine? Thanks Briggsdude on your info,there is a small engine shop near me. But I am reluctant to visit. I was there before and they sell go carts mainly,HIGH END stuff.Is there an ONline store that You can recommend to me? I was on B&S.com and I din't see a kit for my motor. Most kits were around $100 is this the going price? A new engine costs nearly $800,and A new mower is only $1500 or so depending.Should I buy a new carb? Do they make adjustable replacements?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:45 AM
    No a carb doesn't go bad... and no there are no adjustable replacements.. (jackssmallengines.com comes to mind for a place to order)
    As for the speed limitation... these engines are designed to run at 3,600 rpm for hours upon hours... any more and you over stress the internals.
    Now ground speed... swap for a bigger pulley up front on the engine, smaller on the trans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower 23 Kohler hp 24 inch deck [ 11 Answers ]

I recently went out to mow my lawn with this otherwise reliable machine. I pulled the PTO clutch switch to engage the blades. They started to rotate and I was on my way, for about 30 seconds and then the blades stopped rotating. The motor runs perfectly yet the drive unit for the blade belt does...

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

Craftsman lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

My father has purchased an old lawn mower for restoration. The model # is 1318430. He thinks it is a Craftsman. Anyone know where to find a picture or details.

Craftsman 11hp riding mower [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who has an old Craftsman 11hp riding mower and is having some problems. The ignition switch was broken and has been started with a screwdriver until it finally broke. I got a replacement switch today and installed it and now as soon as it is put in the "on" position the engine...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Warranty [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a Craftsman 4000 Riding Lawn Mower, and am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase the 3 year extended warranty? Can anyone advise?

View more questions Search