Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 07:28 AM
    Police brutality
    Hello:

As you read your morning paper, you notice a complaint made by a prisoner about being punched by a cop while handcuffed. The cop denies it.

Who do you instinctively believe?

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 03:08 PM

Hello again,

Wassa matta? Fraid to answer?

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 12, 2009, 03:09 PM
    OK I'm game.
    From the little information you have given I would assume the cop was telling the truth.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 03:11 PM

Id conclude the cop was telling the truth based on the information given
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 03:15 PM

Knowing cops, and those they handcuff, I'd say there's a small but definite chance the prisoner was telling the truth. If the handcuffed guy was drunk or on drugs and acting stupid or squirrely that small chance gets bigger.

Some folks in handcuffs can make the most diciplined and honorable person want to slap them silly.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 03:21 PM

I know cops and I know people. Your instinct should tell you either situation is possible. Cops do punch folks, not all cops. Folks tell lies, not all folks . I try to not prejudge a person based solely on their career choice.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 03:59 PM

Hello again,

So, it's two who believe the cop, and two who MIGHT not.

I think the answers so far are telling, albeit a very small sampling.

Keep going.

excon

Mar 12, 2009, 06:01 PM

Excon, count again, I am a split vote. Either can be telling a lie.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 06:11 PM

Even handcuffed was the prisoner doing anything, let me see a handcuffed prisoner,
    I have been
    1. head butted
    2. kicked
    3. had them start beating their head against a light pole, the car, and even the side window to the point of busting it out.
    4. spit on my

So I doubt we are getting a full story either way.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    So I doubt we are getting a full story either way.
    Hello Padre:

It isn't about the story or about them at all. It's about YOU, and what you believe.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:21 PM

Well on a whole criminals tend to be the least trustworthy of the two choices you have provided, so what were you really expecting?

Mar 12, 2009, 06:23 PM

I understand your logic albear but being under arrest doesn't make you a criminal, not yet.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:25 PM

I agree with Fr Chuck. I couldn't imagine going to work every day and have people that want to hurt me or shoot me and the scum they have to deal with. Its got to be one of the most stressful jobs there is.

If anyone has a reason to go postal I would pick a police officer. . How a officer doesn't get an attitude more amazes me.

Lets see one of us put up with some of society's worst and see how we react after a while. Officers are humans with a life and family's. I would tend to believe the officer.

The moral is if you were a good citizen then maybe you WON'T be in handcuffs. And if it was a benign thing I doubt the person handcuff would just lash out or the officer beat on him for a warrant for late tickets. They pretty much know if you are in the system and what for. It helps let them know how much danger they could be in
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:26 PM

There is a cop in the op and a prisoner, prisoners are people who have committed crimes, hence criminal,
    And yes I know our going to put forward the point that he could have been falsly imprisioned but that was not mentioned, hence the prisoner is a bad guy.

Mar 12, 2009, 06:30 PM

Lots of assumptions going on here. This guy in cuffs was arrested so he is a prisoner but he is not proven guilty yet. You would not believe the numbers of arrests compared to convictions. In my state you will be cuffed if you drive with a blood alcohol of over .08, that does make you a prisoner but you aren't guilty yet and are not considered a criminal.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    well on a whole criminals tend to be the least trustworthy of the two choices you have provided, so what were you really expecting?
    Hello albear:

I was expecting what I got... You actually clinched it for me. I don't disagree with you at all either in your assessment. Criminals do TEND to be less trustworthy than the cops.

But, I'd rather live in a country where the suggestion that the cops brutalize people would be immediately attacked. I'd rather live where we wouldn't be talking about the cops TENDENCIES, but we'd be talking about what they DO because we KNOW it to be so.

That didn't happen here. As a matter of fact, HALF of you subscribed to my proposition, and the other half didn't think my suggestion was nuts.

I don't know what that says, if anything. But, YES, I think it says SOMETHING. What do YOU think it says?

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:42 PM

Fair do's, but that's an assumption that he isn't guilty, still prisoners as a whole tend to be untrusworthy people
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:49 PM

Hello again:

This isn't about prisoners, or cops, or who deserves to be punched, or who's guilty.

It's about a cop and his handcuffed prisoner. Plus, it's about US as a country and what we demand (or not) of our protectors.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello albear:

I was expecting what I got.... You actually clinched it for me. I don't disagree with you at all either in your assessment. Criminals do TEND to be less trustworthy than the cops.

But, I'd rather live in a country where the suggestion that the cops brutalize people would be immediately attacked. I'd rather live where we wouldn't be talking about the cops TENDENCIES, but we'd be talking about what they DO because we KNOW it to be so.

That didn't happen here. As a matter of fact, HALF of you subscribed to my proposition, and the other half didn't think my suggestion was nuts.

I dunno what that says, if anything. But, YES, I think it says SOMETHING. What do YOU think it says?

excon
    Hooray for me clinching things

Same here on the country thing

I think it says something along the lines that people don't trust people as much as they used to, and that's not supprising at all.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
    [QUOTE=;]it's about US as a country and what we demand (or not) of our protectors./QUOTE]

I think we are turning into a police country because of how things are going. Its really about WHY this is happening. I'm sure we love to demand less violence. The bad dudes won't allow that. Sure nobody's perfect but why was there less officers need per capita before than now? We demanded for a long time safety and peace in our streets. To many people don't want to follow the BASIC rules in the U.S. And obviously don't respect our laws and the officers that enforce those laws. Yes there are some bad officers but by and large were doing better than most countries with straight honest cops.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do police lie? [ 7 Answers ]

Well this really has to do with getting pulled over for a back tail light that really wasn't broken the car smells like alcohol then the breath meter. NOW the cop tells me that I am doulble over the limit, I wanted to see for myself and the cop refused, I ask for a blood test as soon as I got to...

Military Police [ 6 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to Join the Army National Guard, then I'm going through there active first program. I want to be in the military police, I've done my research on it, I've talked with other MP's, in fact my best friend is one. Some mebers of my family think that I'm making a mistake, that I'm too...

Should we go to the police? [ 25 Answers ]

Me and my friend have this friend and her boyfriend has been hitting her and he threatens her all the time and he even held a gun to her head at one point fallows her everywhere and has these freaky mind game type things and the other day he poked her in the eye and made her blind in one eye I mean...

Police brutality? [ 3 Answers ]

So, in my town, a friend was shot to death because, according to the paper, he had a psychiatric episode and threatened the cops with a 2-1/2-inch knife. They shot him in the chest sevel times. He dies 10 minutes later, begging for help. They shot him after two minutes of arguing. What do you think?

Police brutality [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any law that defend police brutality ?

View more questions Search