Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trisha79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 03:03 AM
    How can my fiancé adopt my daughter when her father isn't in the picture
    My daughter is 10 years old. SHe has seen her biological father once when she was a year old. His name isn't on her Birth Certficate however, he does pay $200 a month in child support. He recently told me that he doesn't think she is his, after acknowledging paternity when she was born. He now wants a DNA test. I don't want to put my child through this. Meanwhile my fiancé ahs been in her life since she was 2 yrs old. He would like to adopt her. I think that would be the best decision for everyone. I would like to know what the process is for terminating her bio father's rights and starting the process of my fiancé adopting my daughter. I don't want anything from her bio father. Any help would be appreciated.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 06:00 AM

1. Get married. Most states won't allow an adoption until you've been married a specific amount of time.
    2. Get a lawyer. One specializing in adoption or family law will be able to walk you through what you need to do.
    3. Accept that if the biological father wants a DNA test or contests the adoption by not signing away his rights, there's not a lot you can do.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 09:06 AM

Depending on what state you live in, the father might not be able to request a legal DNA test as it is well past the statute of limitations in many states (2-5 years in most that I have seen)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fianc? Wants to adopt my daughter, but her bio father is on the because [ 12 Answers ]

First of all I know there have been a lot of questions like mine posted already but please bare with me anyway. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I am engaged to a wonderful man and we've discussed him legally adopting my 18month daughter, and her getting his last name. She has her...

Can my fianc? Adopt my daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's is 4 1/2 yrs old and her father has not had any contact with her in 3 yrs. He has been in and out of jail his whole life and was recently just released from prison and is now a registered sex offender. My fiancé has took complete responsibility of my daughter and does everything for...

Can my fiancŽ adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am trying to find out how my fiancé can adopt my daughter. My daughter is 4 years old her father was in the picture the first few months of her life but has not attempted to contact her for the past three 1/2 years. Besides my daughter he has a 15 year old daughter which he has never been...

My fiancŽ what's to adopt my daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My Fiancé and I are getting married and he wants to adopt my 9 month old daughter. We have been together since I was 2 months pregnant. The biological father was told when I was 2 weeks pregnant and shortly there after disappeared from my life. I never heard from him again until I contacted him a...

Wonderful fianc? Wants to adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating this wonderful guy off and on for about a year now. The times we broke up were my fault. He is going in the army in the next month or so. He wants to get married the day he graduates from bct, and he also wants to adopt my daughter. I know who her father is and he pays child...

View more questions Search