Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daychain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Brick paver on top of sealed, decorative concrete
    I am about to start laying a brick paver walkway, part of which will be going on top of an existing, decorative, sealed concrete patio. Can I mortar the outer most bricks directly to the concrete and then fill in the remaining pavers or is there a better way? Will the morter hold?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 07:38 PM
    There are a few things I'm not certain about from your description.

The walkway us partly over patio and partly over what? Earth? Crushed concrete and a sand bed? And I'm just having a hard time picturing what you mean when part of the paver walk is over a patio. As in there will be two levels? With a raised walk over a patio?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 07:16 PM
    I have never done this but I wonder if the sealer on the decrotive concrete will compromise your bond? If I was doing it, I would do a little grinding first. I know it is messy, awful work but, it is better than a poor bond.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Aug 30, 2006, 09:42 AM
    The pavers that are going on the concrete can be mortared. See if you can scuff (use a grinder) the sealer where the pavers will go.

Make sure not to span any pavers from the walkway onto the patio, they can crack and pop loose. Make an expansion joint where the walkway pavers will meet the patio pavers. Then if anything settles you won't have bricks from the patio sticking up higher than the walkway causing a trip hazard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove paint from brick [ 15 Answers ]

Hi All. I have just bought a new house off-plan, and it seems like the builders were a bit careless with the paint. They've spilt some paint onto the bricks on the driveway, and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. Will I have to change the bricks? Here's what I've tried so far: -...

Gray brick/paver [ 5 Answers ]

I want to use 2 courses of brick along the perimeter of my planter area. About 60 linear feet.BUT... what I am looking for in a brick( or artificial paving stone) doesn't seem to exist. I'm looking for a brick that is DARK gray. I have seen light gray pavers out there, but they are almost the...

Testing new lines with sealed stub-outs [ 4 Answers ]

Dumb question(s) time. I have just run new hot and cold water lines for a new vanity. I have stubbed them out for the eventual installation lf 1/2" compression 1/4 turm shut-off valves. My question is how can I test that branch for leaks when the water won't get there until I cut the sealed ends...

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I've been refinishing a fireplace/mantel, which has included stripping layers of paint off the brick fireplace. After months of chemical applications, most of the paint is off, but there are still some stubborn remnants that just aren't coming out - they seem to have soaked into the brick, and...

View more questions Search