Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayb_14 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 08:41 PM
    What do I need to become a zoologist?
    Hi imm in yr 10 and need hrlp

I want to be a zoologist but don't know what I need to study or degrees.
    :confused:

Please help

Thanks jayde
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Mar 11, 2009, 09:13 PM

Well, the first thing I would recommend, is that if you live close to a zoo, see if there any opportunities for you to volunteer. That way you can get a good start towards that career. Then start studying math and science, and when you get to high school, study biology as well. Here is a more detailed idea of what to do, but I think it is geared to someone older than you. What is Needed to Become a Zoologist? | eHow.com. Also see if your parents would be interested in letting you get an unusual pet, so that you can see the details that you have to pay attention to, that you would not see with a dog or a cat. For example, I have several lizards, and they need special lighting, live food (crickets), nutritional supplements, and special housing. If you still want to be a zoologist after that, then I'd say you're on the right track. Good luck!
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 12, 2009, 06:10 PM

Jayb,

Zoology is the study of animals - mammals, birds, insects, fish, singles celled animals and so on. Sometimes the study can be of one type of animal, one particular animal (a monkey for example), or it might be the study of some particular part of an animal, or even how different animals live together so you will have a wide choice of areas to have a career in. As BIGBOPPER says, math and science (particularly biology and chemistry, but physics too) are important areas of study.

You might also want to look in the Careers section of this web site. I see other people are asking similar questions there.

Good luck!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 10:10 AM

Also, this question has been asked many times here.

See the list of similar threads at the bottom of this page and read those.

If you read those and have more specific questions, come back and ask us and we will be happy to try to answer. I have a graduate degree in zoology. Zoology is the study of animals, not zoos. Do you want to be zoologist or a zookeeper?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm looking to become a zoologist. How do I start? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm currently in high school and I am interested in getting into zoology. I like working with animals, and a job at the zoo or saving/rescuing animals Sounds fun! How do I get started and what degrees are available for this field? Thanks guys, -MaGiC_DaN90

What would I need to do in order to become a zoologist? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and a senior in high school. I want to become a zoologist. I plan on attending The University of Cincinnati to pursue zoology. I love animals and I want to work in a zoo taking care of animals. I don't know what field I should pursue or what classes I need to take. Could someone...

How to become a zoologist [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , My daughter wants to be a zoologist she is in her final year at school , is there any courses that she can take in college or would it be best for her to stay on at 6th form.:) :)

Is there a Zoologist on here [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking about becoming a zoologist and I really want to talk to one to make sure this is something I want to do.

Tools of a zoologist [ 1 Answers ]

What are the tools zoologists use on the job?

View more questions Search