Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ken Lyman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Ice/Salt = FrostBite?
    I understand that when you pour salt on your upper fore arm, then apply (with pressure) a common ice cube for period of 1-3 min frostbite will occur. The amount of salt and the length of time play key factors in the severity of the so called... Reaction. I guess my question is how do you treat the injury?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Don't create it in the first place.
    aspire82 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 10:33 PM
    Salt lowers the freezing point of water so the frostbite part makes sense. However, as to how you treat the injury? I think you need to post that under a medical thread, it has little to do with Chemistry so you're less likely to get help here.

-Tony
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:42 AM
    In mild cases of frostbite (nip) you immerse the area in warm, but not hot, water or tuck your arm against your body to warm, like at the armpits.

In severe cases, and this is unlikely here, as your body heat should melt a cube before you get severe frostbite... but since you asked... you need professional help. Ibuprofin for pain. Warming of region again. Monitering for blisters and infection...

Strange question. Why are you asking this?
    Ken Lyman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 03:19 PM
    I ask because I have cube shaped skin discoloration (dark purple) minor blistoring. Ohhh it hurts too... lol. I did this to see if it worked and how well... I plan on using this instead of the old permanent marker gag when past out..
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lyman
    I ask because I have cube shaped skin discoloration (dark purple) minor blistoring. Ohhh it hurts too....lol. I did this to see if it worked and how well...I plan on using this instead of the old permanent marker gag when past out..

You must be kidding.

Prepare to be sued.

If you are in school, potentially expelled.

Its one thing to write on someone when they are passed out w marker (im assuming that's the "gag" you're talking about).

To inflict potentially irreparable nerve/skin damage (the fact you have a blister means it is beyond simple frostnip) is WRONG AND STUPID.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 29, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Right up there with the kids who found the instructions off the internet for mailbox bombs, forgetting that some poor old lady's fingers would get shredded for their amusement too. Hopefully you'll get them as your cellmate as you'll have lots to talk about.
    brandude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 08:36 PM
    I did the same thing with my friends and mine has been on my stomach for awhile now and it STILL hurts not hurts like it did when I did it but like a hurt that when you press on it it stings and it started to blister and the blisters riped open and thare are skabs on it please someone help me with this please
    pyro1098797 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 07:16 AM
    I've done several times before on the back of my hand to prove people wrong
    And all I've ever gotten is some minor swelling redness and irritation at being touched
    This time though did it to prove a friend wrong but the ysadi on the inside of my upper for arm its about an inch and a hlf from the elbow joint
    Normaly it wouldn't worry me but
    The fact that the entire left side of my forearm is numb and tingly even though its been 24 hours worries me slightly
    As far as treatment
    Warm it in wrm water for 30 or so min
    Then keep it wrapped and warm
    And depending on how bad it is you may need medical attentionbut I'm no expert on frost bite so I couldn't tell you how bad it is
    By the way this is a picture of my arm
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 57316
Size:  80.5 KB

Sep 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Also mine was for more than 1-3 min
    Probably bordering on anywhere to 30 min to an hour I think

Sep 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ue-125703.html
    Link will take you to where I posted a similair question
    Still waiting for answers will be updating as things occur
    lunchbox07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    you must be kidding.

prepare to be sued.

if you are in school, potentially expelled.

its one thing to write on someone when they are passed out w marker (im assuming thats the "gag" youre talking about).

to inflict potentially irreparable nerve/skin damage (the fact you have a blister means it is beyond simple frostnip) is WRONG AND STUPID.
    Yeah, he's right, getting sued is almost definitely what you're in for. My friend did that once, but it wasn't frostbite, he got a dent in his skin practically. It was like his skin just sunk in like pudding, so yeah the person will be pretty pissed off
    luseygirl14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 04:55 PM
    My friends and I did the ice/salt experiment on our ankles about a week ago and there is a purple/red ice cube shaped mark. Its sore and kind of blistered but it looks like its shrinking. One of my friends had done it before and her "scar" had faded to almost nothing. So I guess it just takes time to go away.
    alex310 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 09:11 PM
    I ty that with ice and salt... and it not funny... I did it for a minute and I took it off it it was swollen and after two day my skin was burn... my skin color is kind of brownish red... and now is brownish red with white burn mark and there big two... does any body now if my skin will go back or it will stay like that forever... reply please...
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alex310 View Post
    i ty that with ice and salt.....and it not funny .... i did it for a minute and i took it off it it was swollen and after two day my skin was burn.... my skin color is kinda brownish red....and now is brownish red with white burn mark and there big two .....does any body now if my skin will go back or it will stay like that forever.....reply please ........
    Why not see a physician? :rolleyes:
    proudmama623 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Haha last night when I was at work, me and some other employees did that. Everyone had it done before I did, and because I never paid much attention in science class I didn't know what it was going to do. This happened probably around 430 maybe 5 pm. They insisted upon leaving it on longer than everyone else's. Well by the end of our shift (1am) all the other's had faded away, except for mine. It was red and swollen, thought it was kind of like a welt. Working in the fast food industry your body, i.e arms, get hit, bumped, scraped, cut, burned, smacked and stabbed. So by the time I got home It had finally started to hurt, and there was a big black bruise right in the middle of it. I used some medicated burn ointment to ease the pain. Although it still doesn't hurt as bad as everybody said it did. It's kind of sore and tender but all in all I think it should be gone within a few days. That'll teach you to pay attention in class. I said "i'll never need to know this in real life" well damn, I was wrong! All you can really do for it is either use medicated burn cream or nothing, it's essentially a burn, ointments or gels suffocate it and make it worse, possibly blister if not already.
    Lolitzangie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
    ICE ICE ICE!! I just did it a few hits ago it was so stupid. It turned red and it had a bump. I added cortazone Cream but it didn't do much. Then my dad said add ice NO SALT!! Just ice ad the swelling went down a lot and it's not even red anymore it just looks like a bruise. Hope this helps
    PhoebusTea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 02:14 PM
    I did it...
    I just did.
    I regret this so much.
    I did it three times at once on my arm and its been 3 or 4 months. First it was red, then it bubbled, then the first layer of skin came off leaving it red and raw.
    Now, it constantly changes colour depending on temp... when its really cold, it will turn a nasty shade of purple.
    This is my biggest regret because there's always evidence.
    Every time I look at it I panic.
    Don't do this.
    Play a board game or something, do homework or... whatever!
    Don't do it - even though so many people do this anyway...
    tillisd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2013, 08:12 AM
    I don't know exactly what to tell you. I did this last night but it was on my hand. I held it approximately 2 or 3 minutes. Now on my hand is a pink red marking from where the ice was. It does in fact sting no matter what touches it air included, even bending it. Frostbite is dead tissue, which could spread. To stop it from hurting as much run it in warm, not cold or hot that could make it worse, water and put some medicine on your hand and wrap it up. If it gets worse then I would advise going to get help before its to late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Which goes in the shaker with more holes - salt or pepper? [ 25 Answers ]

I had always thought this was a no-brainer until my girlfriend and I purchased a new set. The dark shaker, which I assumed was meant for pepper, had less holes than the lighter shaker, which I assumed was for the salt. I found this very odd! I pointed it out to a lifetime friend of mine that we...

Salt shakers: Why glass? [ 3 Answers ]

There is just that scratching-on-the-board feel when I screw the metal cap back onto the glass shaker. Also, it will break if I happen to drop it. What is behind the glass factor? Lets say, why not plastic? It's cheaper to make and doesn't break. Does it have to do with taste? I don't...

Ice and salt; endothermic reaction [ 1 Answers ]

I know that Ice and salt undergo an endothermic reaction but I don't understand how. What is absorbing the heat? How is an endothermic reation occurring if and actual reaction is not? Salt and ice form a mixture.

View more questions Search