Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax4me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Status on W2 Form
    Hi Tax Advisors,

I am new to United States and filed the taxes recently and realized that "Single" 0 is listed in my W4 form but I am married. The tax advisor suggested me that I could change it to "Married" and 0/1, then I will not be paying more tax..

I was reading through many forums to understand what will be the best status on W2 if you are married with 0 dependents. Should I change my W4 form to reflect the status as "Married"? What should I be updating the number to 0/1?

Thanks for your support.

-- BH
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2009, 02:22 PM
    BH:

If you are a foreign national, special rules prevent yo from claiming more than TWO exemptions if you are married.

This is done to ensure that enough taxes are withheld from your pay to cover any potential tax liability and to give you an incentive to file your tax return as required by law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W7 form what status to select? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a F1 student since 2003 and starting this year eligible resident only for tax purposes. I am filing taxes as Married filing jointly using 1040 form. My wife is a dependent (F2 visa) so I need to fill W7/ITIN form along with my tax return. What option should I select in W-7 form to...

I would like to know my status of my w2 form? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the staus of my w2 form?

Fill W4 Form in OPT status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I like this forum:) very much and so this is my first question... :confused: . I am on Optional practical training status and working . Can anybody please tell me how to fill "Personal Allowances worksheet" on W4 form?:confused: I mean I am confused what...

Tax Return form and Tax Status-F1 to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dear, I am Korean who grew up in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I am Korean citizen, but I hold Bolivia residency. I came to California on February 16, 2001 under B-1 visa. After 5 weeks, I went back to Santa Cruz, Bolivia in order to get F-1 visa. Then, in June 02, 2001 I came back to California...

View more questions Search