Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buwolv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
    F-1 (Resident Alien) filing jointly BUT F-1 spouse has no SSN
    Hi all,

2008 is my 6th year in U.S, hence I am currently filing as a Resident Alien for tax purposes. My spouse has been with me in U.S since Mar 2008 as a F-1 student. I hope to file 1040-EZ or 1040 jointly with her to enjoy higher exemptions.

I have a SSN, but my wife doesn't. Now, as I am filling out 1040-EZ, if I want to file jointly I have to provide her SSN, which she doesn't have because she is currently not employed and not receiving wages.

My question is, on the 1040-EZ form, could we use an ITIN in lieu of SSN for her? Since we can readily obtain an ITIN as she is not qualified to obtain a SSN.

Thank you for your help.

buwolv
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 11:18 PM

If she can get SSN, then apply for it. If she can not get SSN, then attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return.
    If later on she gets SSN, then always use SSN.
    buwolv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Hi MukatA,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. The thing is, she was offered a 10-hr/ week position in the school two days ago and was preparing to apply for the SSN. She was told however, the SSN would take 4-6 weeks to process/ arrive, which means that we will get really close to the Apr 15 deadline.

Is it possible to apply for the SSN (locally in Boston), and concurrently file tax with form W-7 for an ITIN to the address indicated (in Austin, Texas I believe)?

I am afraid concurrent applications can complicate things and affect my tax return.

Thank you.

buwolv
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 03:21 AM

No, you can not apply for ITIN.
    File for extension, or
    File as married filing separate and then later on amend your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal tax Resident alien Spouse works out of US File married jointly [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question for 2008 tax. I am a resident alien for tax purpose from 2006. My husband works out of US (he got the SSN when he stayed as F-1 in US) and has no US income. I wonder if I can file as status married jointly? I understand that I need to claim his worldwide income. Since his...

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search