Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    centrallake2011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 05:12 AM
    What things do the courts look at for child custody?
    Do the courts look at which parent wants the child more or is it more like "can the parent take care of the child financially?" My dad has a good paying job, a house, and lives near a school. He can take care of me. But he was behind in child support for a couple months before getting caught back up. My mom works a cashier job, low pay, but again can take care of me. My dad lives out of state. Who do you think will get custody? What things do the courts look at?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by centrallake2011 View Post
    Do the courts look at which parent wants the child more or is it more like "can the parent take care of the child financially?" My dad has a good paying job, a house, and lives near a school. he can take care of me. But he was behind in child support for a couple months before getting caught back up. My mom works a cashier job, low pay, but again can take care of me. My dad lives out of state. Who do you think will get custody? What things do the courts look at?

It's about the best place for the child, including emotionally, not which parent "wants" the child more?

If your Mom gets custody, your father will have to pay child support which will, of course, increase her income.

Depending on your age - if we are talking about you - the Court may be very reluctant to move you from a familiar neighborhood, familiar friends, a familiar school.

Hard to say - are your parents arguing over custody? Is this contested?

At any rate - it boils down to what is best for the child.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Mar 12, 2009, 04:54 PM

I agree. You can, however, have your side heard with the judge also. He will most likely, if asked, and sometimes just because, ask you to see him in his office and get a feel for what you would prefer, your relationship with both parents, etc. Before all of this takes place, make sure you have thought of the things he may ask you and how you will answer. It is not that he will go on what you want, but may take it into consideration, especially regarding visitation.
    Rich11111 Posts: 99, Reputation: 25

Mar 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Got it wrong, ignore this post
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich11111 View Post
    How old are you, Once you reach a certain age and maturity you have a very large say in the decision on who gets custody. (I think, don't know too much about the subject.) Although it would mean making a choice between your parents.
    \
    You are right - you don't know much about this subject. The child is heard but does NOT have a "very large say" in custody issues. In fact, the Judge may very well ignore the child completely.
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 07:10 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    artlady agrees: The child has very little say as he /she may decide to choose the parent who is the one who lets them get away with everything..[/QUOTE]

Offer to buy me a pony and I'll come live with you.
    GeorgeMcCasland Posts: 42, Reputation: -5
    -

Mar 20, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Why not stay in the home and you get joint physical custody of them?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    BIRD NEST CUSTODY

It’s a form of access or custody where the children stay in the former family residence and it is the parents who rotate in and out separately and on a negotiated schedule.

The children simply live at "home" and the separated or divorced parents take turns living with them there, but never at the same time.

The core element of this arrangement is that each parent maintains a separate residence where they live when it is not their turn at the "bird's nest". When one parent arrives for his/her designated time, the other vacates right away, so as to minimize or eliminate the presence of both at the same time.

At times, bird's nest access can be coupled with specified access with the other parent say, for example, for dinner one night a week.

Sometimes, this form of access or custody will end when the youngest child reaches the age of majority at which time, one parent either buys the other out of their interest, if any, in the former family residence, or it is sold and the proceeds divided pursuant to the matrimonial property regime or separation agreement.

The arrangement can be expensive as it generally requires that three separate residences be maintained, the "nest" and a separate residence for each parent.

The concept is somewhat novel and appears to have as its origin a Virginia case Lamont v Lamont.
    In Canada, Greenough v Greenough was a ground-breaker case in that the Court implemented a bird's nest custody order even though it had not been asked for by either party. Justice Quinn, in Greenough stated:

"In Lamont ... the court made a bird’s nest custody arrangement in which the children (aged 3 and 5 years) remained in the home, with the mother staying in the home during the week and the father on the weekend. I think that the benefits of a bird’s nest order are best achieved where the children are able to stay in the matrimonial home, particularly if it has been the only residence that they have known....

"Time and time again I have seen cases (and this is one) where the children are being treated as Frisbees. In general, parents do not seem to appreciate the gross disruption to which children are subjected where one of the parents has frequent access. In this regard, I do not believe there must be evidence that the children are suffering before the court is free to act. To me, it is a matter of common sense. At the risk of falling prey to simplistic generalities, I am of the view that, given a choice, I do not see why anyone would select a living arrangement which involved so much movement from house to house."

GiveKidsAChoice : Bird Nest Custody

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

What stupid or funny things has your child done? [ 6 Answers ]

Myson always does stupid things like I tell him not to stand on the sofa because he'll fall then what does he do throws his self off the sofa lol Lol myson used to strain himself when he was filling his nappie and the other xmas me and mymum and son was walking round smiths toy shop and he was...

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Now I need to ask some things. Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I typed a long message stating that the father of my child has decided to relinquish his rights. Well I guess he is a little indecisive. I received a phone call last night from him stating that he has decided it's not the best. I agree, but now he's going to try to push it to the limits. Little...

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

View more questions Search