Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Poodle incontinence
    I have a 2 year old miniature poodle named Prada. She has always been incontinent since she was a puppy but it only happens in her sleep, and not every night. Her mother Shae who my mum owns has the same problem and after having many vet tests done there was no result and she simply grew out of it when she was only 7 months old. Assuming it was just a puppy problem (the vet backed it up) my mum bred a litter out of her... producing my baby Prada. We later found out it was a hereditary problem common in poodles... and yes, we felt awful but none of her brothers or sisters have the problem as we keep in contact with all our puppies owners.
    I know there is a drug available to help reduce it but there are apparently some bad side effects so I refuse to use it.
    Anyway, can anyone give me any tips on trying to help her overcome this, or reduce it?
    It's been going on for 2 years and googling hasn't helped.
    Any help appreciated :)

Edited to say, if no-one knows how to help fix it can you give me some ideas on how to keep my couch and bed dry... it gets tiring having to scrub the wee smell out of the furniture!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 04:36 AM

Hi shaz, I know what you are going through. My walker hound got really sick a few years ago, hard to put it down to anything in particular, but she became anemic. I think it was because she ate some grass that had been pesctide treated. Anyway, vet treated her with a few things (grab bag) don't ask. She really didn't know what was going on, only that Taffy was suddenly anemic. One of the side effects was loose bladder and she would pee in her sleep and wake up in a puddle, on the floor, though. She is fine now, but I thought I would tell my story.

I found a website that might help and I hope you can access it:

[url]www.old-dog-treats-and-rawhide.com/dog-incontinence[/ur

If you can't get that site, I found it on Google by entering 'dog incontinence'. Cheers !

Tick
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Thanks Tickle :) I've found that most sites unfortunately say that it requires the dye injection and surgery to fix but I'm trying to avoid it. It doesn't cause her any pain or discomfort so I don't want to put her through surgery. I've tried all the weird diets to try to help but just when I think it seems to be helping it starts up again :(
    The cleaning part of that site was very helpful though thanks :)
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 11, 2009, 07:19 PM

There is actually a fairly safe product on the market that helps in some instances. It is not working well on my dribbling male Doberman, but seems to be more effective on incontinent females. The active ingredient is phenylpropanolamine, the product I am most familiar with is called Proin. It is a prescription item--discuss it with your vet and also ask for a product information sheet that will describe any side effects. (Haven't had any problems with my dog except that he still leaves small puddles behind.)
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 04:23 AM
    Thanks Carol, yeah I've heard that it is common in Dobes too. My vet never actually told me the name of the drug he knew about, just that he didn't recommend it. I will ask him about Proin, and write down the unpronounceable active ingredient :p
    Anything that will help ease the problem and doesn't hurt her is worth a shot, it doesn't cause her any pain or anything but she sometimes gets a rash on her back legs from them being wet, I wash them in a waterless shampoo but when it happens overnight it stays wet till the next morning.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 17, 2009, 11:43 AM

Put a little diaper rash ointment on her legs before she goes to bed. Wipe her down with half & half vinegar water to neutralize the urine and prevent scalding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Prostate cancer, impotence and incontinence [ 1 Answers ]

What are the largest, most helpful forums for prostate cancer patients or survivors? Also what are the best websites to turn to for discussion on overcoming impotence and incontinence?

Our dog is having incontinence issues after having 2 seizures [ 1 Answers ]

We have a goldendoodle who is almost 2 years old. We found out over the summer she has epilepsy. She has been fine on the medication, only a seizure here and there maybe once a month. Well yesterday she had 2 grand mal seizures and since then she has urinated in the house 4 times. It is...

Poodle won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

I have been back and forth to vet and we are both confused my dog won't eat... He has lost a lot of teeth but this wasn't a problem all of a sudden he won't eat he does drink water. Doctor gave him a pain shot , I put him on pain pills and muscle relaxor from past problems he does show a bit of...

View more questions Search