Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dineshisbest Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 11:47 PM
    State tax on income "not effectively connected to US trade or bussiness"
    I am a Non resident alien (student on F1) from India. I has some income from capital gain, which comes under "income not effectively connected to US trade or business" for federal purpose. This income is taxed at flat 30% rate, and it doesn't gets counted towards my federal adjusted gross income. There is separate schedule for this income in 1040NR.

I want to know what's my tax liability for this income towards a state (Georgia in my case). As Georgia form only ask for federal adjusted gross income.

Thanks in advance for help.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 11, 2009, 03:31 AM

Capital gain on the sale of personal property (like stock) by a nonresident alien is free of any tax both under US domestic tax law and the India/US treaty.
    1. Fill out the 1040NR page 4, line 83. Put the withheld tax in column a, and put 0% and the gain in column e.
    2. Follow the directions on line 85
    3. Put the amount of withheld tax on line 65 and get a refund.
    4. Fill out a W8-BEN and send to your broker.
    5. If you have no SS or ITIN fill out a W7, get a certified copy of your passport, and send the W7 and your 1040NR to:
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

There is no State liability since you have no AGI.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 05:28 AM

Five Rings, section 871(a)(2) provides for tax on capital gains where a person is present in the U.S. for more than 183 days. Although students on F1 visas are not considered present in the U.S. for purposes of determining residency, they are present in the U.S. for section 871(a)(2) purposes. Also, the U.S.-India Income Tax Treaty does not prevent the U.S. from taxing these capital gains.

Dinesh, the net capital gain does count towards federal adjusted gross income.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 11, 2009, 10:11 AM

Thank you IntlTax for pointing that out and correcting my error. I am not used to all those domestic issues and will pay closer attention in the future.

I found 871(c) the critical part of the statute since that overrides the provisions of sec. 865(a)(2)
    dineshisbest Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 08:31 PM

I filled my Federal taxes through CINTAX and it didn't added the income from capital gain (not affcetively connected to US trade... ) to the federal adjusted gross income. So I guess it doesn't get added.

IntlTax: If its OK with you, I would like to get my state tax done by you. Let me know.

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Dinesh:

I assume IntlTax helped you with your return.

If not, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Router Connected but "Local" Access to Internet Only [ 1 Answers ]

I recently relocated where I had to change ISP. I am also recently divorced and my ex husband had the key to our Lynksis router, so I used an old verizon wireless to connect.. at the time my ISP was Time Warner, they're not available in my area and I am now using Comcast. Anyhow, I called tech...

Does 1099-C "income" have to be reported on state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm probably being wildly optimistic here, but does the "income" from cancellation of debt reported to the IRS on the 1099-C have to be reported as income for state income taxes? I'm having trouble finding a clear answer. I live in NJ. Thanks, Jennifer

Unable to light pilot on "previously" winterized State Select gas water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a home inspector and today inspected a 4 year old home in which the bank had the home winterized.. We turned the gas on and were able to operate the kitchen range, and the gas furnace took about 15 minutes to lite with the electronic ignition continuing to try lite the furnace an eventually...

J/E "Boot" Trade in Value [ 1 Answers ]

How do you record the trade in value from a fixed asset? We bought a bus and traded in an old bus at the value of $1700, which is included in the cost of the new bus. How does this get recorded? I remember something about it being called a "boot" entry? Not sure? If you know anything please let me...

View more questions Search