Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teesy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
    Cold Air Return dripping water
    Have Carrier 9200 Weathermaker. Noticed today during blizzard that insulated flex hose from outside that conects into cold air return has snow buildup and is dripping water. Called service man who said to just disconnect hose and cover with plastic - it was fresh air hose and don't need it. So I put duct tape over 5 inch hole in cold air return duct and covered flex hose with plastic bag. Went outside and covered outside opening as well. Noticed plastic bag over flex hose in basement seemed to puff out and retract much like a "breathing motion". Is this flex hose connected to a motor somewhere? Should I have disconnected it? This is NOT the PVC pipes that are the air intakes and vent. Serviceman said he doesn't know why anyone would want to heat cold outside air - should just be heating inside air. PS - we are in cold area - blizzard today and 20 below zero.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 05:48 AM
    The hose as you call it was placed there to supply air for these possibilitys. Make up air/fresh air, or combustion air. It was put there for a reason. Possible reasons are that it was called for in the manufactures instructions OR the local building code required it. The movement in and out of the plastic cover on the hose end is caused by the differential in pressure probably caused by the furnace blower when it comes on and off. You will have to find out the real reason for it being installed before I would just leave it disconnected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Return, [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, we've just moved into a brand new build and we find one of the rooms in the upper level very cold. We find the cold air return on the floor is letting a lot of cold air into the room. Being the winter time this makes the room very cold when the door to the room is closed. This will be our...

Why cold air blows out of cold air return when furnace is on [ 1 Answers ]

Why does cold air blow out of the cold air return when the furance is on?

Dripping in wall after running cold water in bathroom only [ 8 Answers ]

After I run the cold water in the shower, toilet & bathroom there is a dripping sound.. in the wall... this last for a little while and disappears... Does not happen when I run the cold water in any other part of the house.

Cold and drafty from ceiling mounted cold air return [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a adobe style home built in 2000 with a Single Roof Mounted combined HVAC system in the Albuquerque New Mexico Area. Directly below the HVAC is the only cold air return duct work located in the ceiling of the Hallway on one end of the Home. A single Thermostat for the entire...

Cold water is just dripping... why? [ 1 Answers ]

We've lived in our slab ranch for 15 years. Over the past 7 or so years, we've noticed a slow in cold water pressure, to the point that right now it's just dripping out of the washer (it takes me 1:15 to wash one load in cold) and we're almost being scalded when we shower. Any ideas?

View more questions Search